Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Where would you retire?

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the perfect spot that I retired to. I live on Lake Murray South Carolina about middle ways up the lake. I have excellent fishing right outside my back door. Crappie, cats,perch, stripers,bream on a 55,000 acres lake. I am 30 min from trout fishing in the Saluda river and a 2 hr drive to the ocean or 3 hr drive to the mountains and I am also within a 2hr drive to 9 or 10 good fishing lakes including Clarkshill,Santee,wateree. I have the small town atmosphere and Columbia is only 45 mins away if I want the big city scene. Forgot to mention also have several black water river close bye. I call this as close to Heaven as I can get in this life. Don
    Likes RetiredRR, skeetbum, "D", feeshrman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    Kissimmee? He wants low crime and churches.
    Kissimmee river a big place. You must didn't really check Quincy out too much. High crime, not many proactive churches, no hospital. I personally would do the St. John's area for his list.

BAMA S is online now Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm stayn right where I am. I live thirty minutes from several lakes in central Alabama . The smaller lakes are affordable but lake Martin has gotten pricey due to being a retirement lake with crystal clear waters. I live in a rural area on a three hundred acre farm. Lake properties local have gotten outa hand in my opinion. We just sold our lake house for over a half a mill. Another problem with lake properties is finding a flat lot which is important in retirement life.
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

as much as I would miss a lot of things here ....crappie being one of them ....
    Costa Rica and it is on the menu .......west coast ....Quepos maybe ....
    low crime affordable everything ....pura vida is the saying down there
    pure life in English .....
    might stay away from the local rivers though ...the crocs are pretty large
    the ketchn of fish is beyond compare right off the coast ....
    sails marlin roster fish dorado tuna snapper
    the beaches ....mild climate .....very nice .....
    Last edited by Ketchn; 10-30-2015 at 05:54 AM.
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes "D", Redge, feelay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Wally and hospitals are critical. This is why we do not live full time at the lake. I was injured several weeks back at our lake house. Took EMC 30 min to get there. I punctured my leg. It was a gusher. Had a shoe full of blood, but had help with applying pressure on the wound til they showed up.
    See...old men and sharp objects are bad!

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    Mountain home Arkansas. Norfork and bull shoals lakes are huge, beautiful crystal waters, walleye, stripers, bass, crappie.... Trout on the rivers.
    Yep. nice area. I have family up there, and that is where our family reunion is every summer. Gaston's on the White River. It is on the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doggone View Post
    I want a little summer,a little winter and not a whole lot of either. I can't enjoy myself in a crowd,have to be low population area. I have traveled a little but live 250 yards from where I was born.My Dad was in the Navy...if I ever mentioned I might move he always told me..."Son,I've sailed around the world twice and made ports of call on every continent,it don't get no better than here." He was referring to Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas...It's where my people are from LOL.
    I can agree. My family is from that area as well. LOTS of kin up that way may bring me "nome", though I was actually born down here in Sippi.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits View Post
    Kissimmee river a big place. You must didn't really check Quincy out too much. High crime, not many proactive churches, no hospital. I personally would do the St. John's area for his list.
    I thought you meant the city of Kissimme And yes the St. Johns river system has a lot of really nice areas. Just have to do a lot of homework checking towns and subdivisions.

Post Thanks / Like

RETIRE??/ I haven't figured out how to do that yet. 36 years on 1 job 15 years on a 2nd job and 1 1/5 years on present job. seems I don't know how to quit working.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes Redge, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker123 View Post
    Very true about doctors and hospitals, Walmart I can definitely live without. Lowes/Home Depot is a different story for me, for that's what I'm into. Want them close - if they don't have it, they can order it. The South for retirement for sure, don't believe anyone retires and moves north, not that I know of. Hurricanes are a hassle down here when they occur. For me, probably East Texas somewhere.

For sure I want nature as neighbors as I have now, don't want to see the side of someone's house.
    You will appreciate Wal Mart much more when you retire. Parking at multiple store fronts becomes an issue later in life. You try too get close to store fronts and some other geezer beats you to it.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast