Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 CRAPPIE.COM CLASSIC RESULTS

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2015 CRAPPIE.COM CLASSIC RESULTS

We had 17 teams and 3 individuals fish the classic. What a beautiful day it turned out to be with sunshine and 10 mph winds. A special thanks to all who participated, I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

I want to say a special thanks to Carl and crew at CROOKED HOOK for hosting the tournament at their place. They had the food ready when the weigh in was over, which beats us having to clean fish and then cook. We also want to thank the following people for sponsoring the*Classic. Tim Cumbie of TIMMIE TOM JIGS, provided a $100 gift certificate for 10th place and a $100 door prize. Ken Roberson provided 3 Huckabee rods as door prizes. Robert Howell provided several packages of Crazy Angler baits that were given away at the check in. I want to thank Robert Robinson for helping get everything set up with Crooked Hook. I want to thank Brian Young for securing the rod donations from Ken. I also want to thank Mark Maguire for getting the baits to give out.

Here are the results of the Classic.

1st Gaston Hall and Kevin Williams with 9.78 lbs

2nd Ernie Oade and Kyle Oade with 7.20 lbs

3rd Cory Carter with 6.88 lbs

4th Mike Emmert and William ? with 6.71 lbs

5th Craig Carpenter with 6.29 lbs

10th Dusty Duvall and Andy Blizzard 4.56 lbs

Big Fish

1st Kevin and Gaston with 1.80 lbs

2nd Mike and William with 1.57 lbs

Andy and Dusty won the 10 place, $100 Timmie Tom Jig give away

Cory Carter, Mike Emmert, and I think Jerry won the Huckabee rods.

If I forgot any one please don't take it personal. Feel free to add anyone I may have left out.

Odie
    Common sense isn't always that common!
    Likes cpd21, Frank300, Crappie ciller, IceNitro LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Can we get the screen names?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the results Doug- would love to hear some details from participants- winners and finishers! Congrats to Whisperer and your Dad. You fellers must have figured something out since the Gibson tourney!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I can not wait for some of the kick back from crappiewhisper! I had him right where i wanted him at the morning of the tourney. He was missing all his waypoints!! Unfortunately, i was able to get them back on for him! haha!

I started fishing the 412 bridge area in the river. after 2 hours we had not had a bite! I headed to Taylor's Fairy area. At 1 ocklock, I had 1 fish in the boat. We accidentally got on 4 brush piles in a row of about 75 yards on a ledge 12-18 fow. Shad and fish were hanging along there. Brush was a plus, but not a must. We hovered there for 2 hours catching crappie and sandies. Got tired of that with 45 min left, and decided to run down to the extreme south end of the lake. We caught more there in brush. I had 14 fish in the well. Minnows where our best ticket, drop shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I'm talking about! Great report Ledge- thanks!
    Likes IceNitro LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie ciller View Post
    Thanks for the results Doug- would love to hear some details from participants- winners and finishers! Congrats to Whisperer and your Dad. You fellers must have figured something out since the Gibson tourney!
    x2!!!!!!!! You winners, place and show need to post up and tell us what we didn't know.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Likes IceNitro LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Redge, I took fifth due to Buck and his partners accidently weighing 8 fish which got them DQ'd. As for me, I started on brush up around Mazie Landing. Caught a few dinks and as some time went by, I knew I needed to change things up. I stuck a cork on, using one of my 10' Huckabee Dippin Sticks and a blue and white homespun, 16th oz jig. My first fish was a fluke as well as my biggest. I didn't even know if the cork would float the jig properly so after setting it about 7' deep, I tossed it over the side and the cork just kept going down. I thought I was going to need a bigger cork when I realized I had a fish on. It was 1.47lbs and it broke the tie I had with another team weighing a total of 6.29 lbs. I started working the jig in the area I was dipping and within a couple of minutes had another 10" fish. That was it in that spot and I moved dipping brush again to no avail. Went over to the docks and dipped/corked and nada.
    It's already afternoon and I'm on the move again, this time I pull out a crank bait and am working the east side of river. After getting hung up and a break off, I noticed I was in only 8' of water and far from the bank where as above and below river from where I was, the water was around 15' deep at the same distance off the bank. I'm on a hump with logs and limbs silted in. I'm also seeing fish on the 2d coming off the TM. I toss a bouy, back off the area and set Bobbys XI5 to Anchor mode.
    I start tossing that jig and cork towards the bouy. I got bit and landed a nice 12" fish. Two minutes later, another one hits as I see my cork decide to lay flat which tells me to set the hook. Working the general area, I was able to land 2 more keepers in about a 20 minute period. Then Nothing. I started catching them about 1 p.m. and either I caught them all in the area or they just wouldn't bite anymore. Minnows did me no good.
    So now I have 6 in the livewell and am searching for that last keeper. I went back to the area I caught my first two and just couldn't find that 7th fish.
    Since I trailered the boat to Mazie, I wanted to give myself an hour from the ramp to get back to the weigh in. I got back with 25 minutes to spare.

I think if I could have found that 7th fish, it might have put me into 3rd for the day, but turning in only 6 was enough to put me into 5th after Bucks most unfortunate counting skills.

It was only my second time fishing the area as I prefished Thursday but only managed one keeper. Let's just say I got lucky in more ways than one, but willing to diversify the methods is what put fish in the livewell. It was fun!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

That was a well told story Reaper- I have bought fishing magazines containing less interesting and poorly written articles. And thank you for sharing your methods. Hopefully I will someday enjoy a Buck weigh in in my favor!
    Likes Crappie Reaper, Redge, IceNitro LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes dad and I were lucky enough to win the tournament but we couldn't have done it without help from the great friends we fish with. Hopefully this will be a testament to all those that have been sitting on the fence wondering whether they should come and join us and haven't fished our Oklahoma Crappie.com tournaments yet. One thing for sure if you do, you'll meet some of the nicest guys you've ever met and you'll develop friendships that you'll enjoy forever.

Dad and I don't fish Ft. Gibson often and we could count the number of times we've fished the lake on 2 hands. Knowing we didn't have much of a chance to win, dad and I knew we had to pre-fish to have any chance at all and we knew we had to reach out for help too. Dad called Charlie and Mark and I talked to Ledge to try to find some spots to fish. They all gave us several spots to fish and without that we wouldn't have had a chance. Thank you so much for your help.

Dad and I pre-fished on Friday before the tournament and stayed the night in Wagoner. We did a lot of running around and fished from the south end and way up the river on the north end. We caught some good fish both north and south but caught more keepers on the south end.

The day of the tourney I noticed I didn't have any way points on my unit and I asked Ledge at the sign up if he could help me figure it out. Ledge being the great guy he is grinned real big knowing he had me where he wanted me, as usual he didn't hesitate, he said sure lets go fix it. Two minutes later he had me back to normal. Thanks TC that would have messed with my head until I figured it out.

Dad and I got a 100 yards from the spot we wanted to start and saw a white boat off to the side about 30 yards from the spot we wanted to fish. We had fished there the day before and there was a white boat there in the same spot the day before. I looked over at dad and said should we go ahead and go in and he said *@$! yes. After we pulled in on the spot and started fishing the boat pulled over by where we were and it was Doug and Bryan. I said dang guys I didn't know that was you, we wouldn't have come in here if we knew it was you. We thought it was the boat from yesterday that wasn't fishing in our tourney. Both of them being the great guys they are said no big deal there are a bunch of piles in a big area here, fish in here with us there's plenty of piles and plenty of room. So dad and I fished the spot with Bryan and Doug and dad caught a few as I struggled with poles and tangles and everything else that could go wrong. We watched Bryan and Doug catch more good fish than we did for several hours until they decided to move on to another spot. Dad and I fished a circuit of the piles in the area and by 11 had 5 or 6 good keepers casting and dragging through the piles in 8 to 12'. Around noon we were really thinking about going north and our plans changed when we caught our biggest fish 1.8 lbs. Ten minutes later we caught another big fish over 1.5 lbs. After the second big fish we decided to stay on the circuit and try to trade up the rest of the day. It worked out for us, we culled quite a few until we had a pretty solid stringer. Catching those big black crappie was so much fun for us, we couldn't stop looking at how pretty they were after we caught them. I used my old favorite Quantum 8ft Huckabee rod with yellow high vis Berkley big game 10lb test and the same jig all day, 1/16 Timmy Tom orange weedless jig head with a 2" pumpkin and chartreuse Bobby Garland slab slayer. I dipped the pearltreuse tail in Spikeit chartreuse die to make the tail brighter. I tried minnows on 2 other rods set at 10ft and never caught a crappie all day. Dad fished with his favorite 6ft rod and Timmy Tom weedless jig heads and switched up his baits all day and caught some really good fish on blue and chartreuse.

Humbly, after having time to think about how we won the tourney I have some regrets. I wish we wouldn't have fished where Doug and Bryan were fishing. I wouldn't trade the win for their friendship. We should have went to another spot when we saw they were fishing in the area. My fishing habits come into play here too. I tend to stay in an area if it offers several piles with good fish rather than running all over the lake catching the aggressive fish off each pile and moving on. Normally the moving pattern wins most tourneys but not always. If us staying in the area didn't give them the opportunity to come back to the spot later I'm sorry. Again we should've moved on when we saw they were fishing there first. Let me make it clear, in no way has anyone mentioned there was a problem during the tourney. I just needed to get this off my chest and let everyone know we wouldn't have won the tourney without the help of the unselfish friends that we fish with. I sincerely apologize and hope to be as unselfish as they were in the future.

With dad being in his late 70's I sure would be appreciative if whoever took the pictures for the tournament would post them or send them to me. I'd really like to have the pictures from the weigh in, since it was such a memorable day with my dad.

Post Thanks / Like

Kyle and I fished less than two hundred yards from the boat ramp where we unloaded. I had 4 keepers in the boat in less than 20 minutes but couldn't get any good ones. We headed to several more spots and couldn't get a keeper fish. We moved north to Whitehorn cove erea and kyle caught 2 that was a little under a pound each and then we couldn't get our 7th fish. At 130 I told him that we would run up the river and see if we could find some good fish. We got there at 2 and stopped at first downed tree and my first fish was pound and a half, next 2 was pound and a quarter. We caught over 20 keeper fish within an hour in 1 ft of water. Had to leave at 3 to make to weigh in. We have had an awesome time fishing with everyone and making new friends
    Likes Frank300, Crappie ciller LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast