Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to aim for when making lures - something to consider

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theygotaeat View Post
    I had 7 crappie in a big aquarium they were 5 to 6 inches long 1 of them kept the other 6 huddled on one side of the tank most of the time .The "bully" stayed darker than the others and didn't like the sucker fish. When it would try to clean glass the crappie would run it off the glass wasn't feeding just bullying
    At feeding time he would try and get every minnow before the others..and he would have a mouth full and chase the others trying to get the ones they had
    Can't explain it just an observation
    Agreed...Same as what we have seen...it is survival of the fittest...they will become dominant and move others away from the food source or best area, without blood loss....but like you said, it is all about feeding!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure seems to be a lot of "thought energy" invested into the capture of a mindless swimming creature.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes "G", huntinslabs, Cmj LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't over complicate something thats fun...just go fishing
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes huntinslabs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I am the only fisherman on here that has went fishing for crappie and came home empty handed(skunked) at times. At times I go and load the boat thinking I now know what I am doing . Then going back another day and for some reason no matter what I try I can't seem to be able to buy a bite. Seems like most fishermen on here catch every time they go fishing what am I doing wrong? Or do they also have bad days and just don't tell about them.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    Looks like I am the only fisherman on here that has went fishing for crappie and came home empty handed(skunked) at times. At times I go and load the boat thinking I now know what I am doing . Then going back another day and for some reason no matter what I try I can't seem to be able to buy a bite. Seems like most fishermen on here catch every time they go fishing what am I doing wrong? Or do they also have bad days and just don't tell about them.

You gotta put "Pro Staff" in you signature. That will fix it.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes "G", scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    You gotta put "Pro Staff" in you signature. That will fix it.
    Exactly!
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INTIMIDATOR View Post
    Crappie are opportunistic HUNTERS, they only get "xxxxxxx off" or "irritated" when they are spawning or guarding the nests...Big Crappie will "Move" smaller Crappie, without blood loss!
    One thing Crappie do, is they constantly feed all year long...feeding will only slow during the heat of the summer when the water gets to warm (cannot take in enough calories to sustain metabolism), then they suspend in the day time heat, and have to wait until the night to feed...and it also slows in Northern Winters, when they still feed on microorganisms and use fat reserves, so they don't have to exert excess energy.
    You are just using Bait Triggers to get them to feed....Bait Triggers are the things that make a fish react to bite or not to bite...Triggers are, Scent, Sound, Taste, Texture, Shape, Vibration, Pheromones, Color, Luminescence or Phosphorescence.
    All Crappie strikes are a result of their need to continually feed, sometimes they strike to injure food, then come back to finish it off...sometimes it is an exploratory strike to see if it is worth trying to eat.
    A Crappie wants to feed as easily as possible, without getting injured...this is why you make the lure "Vulnerable"! Crappie will hit a 5.8 swimbait if you make it look sick, injured, or dying! We have found many 5 inch shad in the bellies of 12 inch Crappie.
    We have seen Crappie eat until they cannot get another morsel in their mouths, they will hit a lure with shad still in their mouths.
    Our local reservoir is Shad and Crawdad driven in the growing season...leave your small baits at home if you want to catch big fish here...unless the Mayflies are hatching!
    Crappie like most fish are wired to eat and to survive...one way they survive is by eating, putting on fat, storing fat, and growing....they are not going to bully something and take a chance of getting injured...they do not fight each other or other fish....they are not emotional....they eat, any chance they get!
    Very well said.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    Thats it scrat they just dont talk about it
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My live well has been empty more than its been full.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know others have bad days just like me. I have read where that fish always eat all the time and you just have to know where and what to do to get them to bite and I don't know if this is really right. I have been fishing before and had seen fish in shallow clear water and have put everything in the tackle box and live bait also in front of them and have even ran them off trying to get them to bite. My wife and I fish with 6 poles each with minnows and a friend of mine also fish with the same spider rigging and we have dug them(24 hooks with minnows) all over the 400 acre lake without catching 1 fish. So I would say at times fish just don't bite.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast