HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835 ... LastLast

Thread: Longlining Questions?

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the thread and all the input.

Couple of things for me, in Kansas we are limited to 3 rods per person. I rarely use my 16 or 14 foot rods when alone as I find it just too difficult to manage them with a fish on.....which is 90% of the time. My 12 footers are better for me when alone. The lake I live and fish on has lots of wipers and I always hook more of them than anything else so I use 8# braid or I would be retying constantly. Plus the braid rides deeper with less line out. I tend to like to run 3/32 on top and a 1/24 on the end. I tried using just spinning reels but have almost went exclusively to Okuma 15dx line counter reels. Makes it easier to dial in my depth and switch over to pulling cranks running these reels and the braided line. I usually fish this way from May to October during the brightest parts of the day. The wind and heat drives them deeper it seems.

Usually I am using litewire hooks so if I snag up the hook bends out using the braid until I see I am loosing too many fish and then switch over to sickle hooks. I run my Ipilot using the maps to follow the contours and deeper flat areas which for me here is about 30fow or so. The long lining at times seems like me only real option and allows me to actually fish productively as the wind here is always a factor and its not if its blowing but how hard. Being that my home lake is about 15k ac in size and a basin lake with vast mud flats the winds can make it interesting. My Lund boat handles the rough water well so thats a plus.

Anyone ever experimented with lead core then a fluro leader to get the jig down there with less line out. for me it seems like it would make it easier to work the small coves I have here that are off the old channel areas. I want to keep using the size jigs I am as I do not have much luck with larger jigs. I guess I could just add split shot. I know sort of unorthodox but at one time long lining was also unorthodox.....just asking.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything is worth a try. If you have the leadcore I would say spool a couple reels with it and give it a try. The only thing I'd do different is save the money for flouracarbon and use regular mono....but that's just me being cheap. For crappie IMO the only thing that really matters is keeping the jig above the crappie's eyes, the size jigs they want, and the colors as well, and the speed they want it. Anything you can do, especially if it's outside "the box", might give you the edge that puts more fish in your boat than what all the other fishermen are catching. Just be sure to post your results so we can all learn something new that you might find out for yourself.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone use #8 line or higher when long lining? I fish with litewire jigheads and I still break off using #6 line. The litewires help but I'm still losing more than I get back. I was thinking about moving up to #8 or #10. Maybe braid with fluorocarbon leader. What do yall think?
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

There is no restriction as far as line diameter goes, the problem comes from drag and lift. The lighter 6 pound test has less resistance which allows baits to be trolled at deeper depths. If trolling in waters 10 feet or less one might could use 8 pound line successfully. This is taken into consideration that most folks use 1/16 ounce jigs
    Professional Crappie Removal
    Safe and ethical
    One rod, one jig, one fish at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I'd have to up the weight on the jigs to compensate for the larger diameter line. Probably run 1/8 and 1/16. Maybe 1/8 and 1/32.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think there is a specific size of line that you HAVE to use....just most everybody uses 6# and can compare where their jigs are running (depths) with their particular setups. Moving to another line just adds another learning curve (which isnt very difficult to learn). Youll just have to cast out your various sizes of jigs and start trolling towards the shallows and see where the rods start bouncing. That would be your depth for that particular weight jig. Then move to anoter size, then another size, etc. Something I like to use is a splitshot the size of a 1/16th jighead attached to the line when using a 1/16th jig. Again, learn that depth too. I've often though about moving up to heavier line to save some jigs too but just havent done it yet. The main advantage to lighter line is being able to break off quickly when a line hangs or a striper or gar takes the jig and begins crossing lines before all your lines become one large tangle.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Question... Is long lining in the fall is as productive as spring? Are the fish in the same depth range, etc? I have been a dedicated deer hunter after October 1st but that is soon to change!

Post Thanks / Like

To to answer your questions; yes and yes. Long lining can be just at effective in the fall, and they can be caught in the same general areas. The key here is the presence of bait. Game fish come into the shallows to gorge themselves on the abundant bait schools that will be seen everywhere. The one difference in fall fishing, is that the fishermen need to be mobile. A creek that was loaded with bait and gamefish one day, can be a wasteland a couple of days later. If your not seeing activity, starting searching other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by simplevilleslab View Post
    Question... Is long lining in the fall is as productive as spring? Are the fish in the same depth range, etc? I have been a dedicated deer hunter after October 1st but that is soon to change!
    Professional Crappie Removal
    Safe and ethical
    One rod, one jig, one fish at a time.

Thanks cglarsen thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Mobility is not a issue. I have caught fish every month consistently since march 1st. Not all were long lining but I really enjoy that method of fishing, especially when all I have to do is man the trolling motor while the kids roll in fish!

Post Thanks / Like

I have read this thread and found it very interesting & educational. It's December and the water is in the low 50's. Will long lining be effective now with the fish moving deeper or would spider rigging and moving slow be a better tactic.

I just don't know how active the crappie will be for moving baits in the colder water?

Thanks for all that have contributed to this topic, allot of knowledge here on a subject most crappie fisherman have never tried.

Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 152223242526272835 ... LastLast