Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do you measure line from ?

Post Thanks / Like

Hahahaha believe it or not....in the 10th grade my geometry had so much trouble with me because I told her geometry was ridiculous and I would never use it in my life! Good thing that butt whooping from mom straightened me out, cuz i use geometry ALL the time! And especially when cranking! Which I could not live my life without! Hahaha
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

From where it enters the water. I have seen folks around here with their rod tips 10 feet out of the water. No way any depth chart would do them any good fishing like that counting from the rod tip. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LowePro View Post
    Hahahaha believe it or not....in the 10th grade my geometry had so much trouble with me because I told her geometry was ridiculous and I would never use it in my life! Good thing that butt whooping from mom straightened me out, cuz i use geometry ALL the time! And especially when cranking! Which I could not live my life without! Hahaha
    I hear ya! I wish that I was as smart now as I thought I was then😉

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yikess View Post
    From where it enters the water. I have seen folks around here with their rodips 10 feet out of the water. No way any depth chart would do them any good fishing like that counting from the rod tip. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    That was kinda what I was doing. I wasn't getting hung up near enough for where I was fishing. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't really matter too much. The difference say for a Bandit 300 that runs between 16 and 17 ft is 30 ft of line. I find more variance between individual plugs than worrying about a few feet of height of the rod tip.
    Likes SlabPappi LIKED above post

NickD is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

To be the most accurate, it's where the line meets the water. A big advantage of using planer boards is that its easier to get an accurate depth since the line is always at the water at the same place. Line out starts where you clip the back release on the line. The distance from the rod to the planer board has no bearing on depth.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Official Off Shore Tackle Youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS3E...-nRh4HnQw/feed
    Likes theygotaeat, yikess LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

True story about the planet boards. I will do a drawing of a pic after I get done clearing these food plots describing the geometry of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    To be the most accurate, it's where the line meets the water. A big advantage of using planer boards is that its easier to get an accurate depth since the line is always at the water at the same place. Line out starts where you clip the back release on the line. The distance from the rod to the planer board has no bearing on depth.
    Exactly right. If your going to count line that's out of the water then you might as well count the line that's still on your reel as well because it's not fishing either. If your rod tips are set 1 foot above the surface then your going to have a lot less line "not fishing" than the guy with his poles set 10 feet in the air when your pulling at 1.8 mph with a Bandit 300. Accuracy and duplication is key.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12