Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mepp's Panfishing kit

Post Thanks / Like

They are some very good baits, it seems. I have no problem catching fish with Mepps. Spinners last a long time. I like going fast and light, and don't have space in my tackle for a bunch of useless soft plastics I don't use. Since I have a sponsorship with them, I can pay around 6.50.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I too like Mepps lures and have for a very, very long time. They are proven time and time again. Plastics are new on the scene by comparison.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The only problem I have with spinners, or most anything with more than one hook (or even one exposed hook) is that you are limited in where you can throw them. You get too close to wood cover & you may not get that bait back. That's why I use Roadrunners in open water areas & weedless jigheads & plastic bodies everywhere else. It's also one reason I use 10lb test braid when casting a Roadrunner. When using a jig/plastics I can control the speed of retrieve, something quite critical in many presentations, whereas I would have to maintain a specific retrieval speed with a spinner ... in order to make the spinner "work".

Not that I have any doubt that the panfish size Mepps would work, and probably catch some fish, but even at $6.50 for three baits .... that's going to eat into your limited budget real quick, especially if they're going to be used by beginners.

I think you're shortchanging yourself on the jigs/plastics. You purchased what you thought was a bargain & it turned out they were too small for your purpose. Chalk that up to "lesson learned" & buy 1.5" - 2" plastics and some 1/16oz jigheads ... rather than discount all plastics/jigs as a "mistake". I'd have to guess that over 95% of the members here are using jigs/plastics over 75% more often than any other form of artificial bait, and they're catching fish with them.

I understand supporting your sponsors by using their products, but your sponsor (Mepps) makes a limited array of bait types. You'd do well to court the members that are Crappie.com Member Sponsors & those that custom make spinners, jigs, & plastics ... and see what they can offer you in the way of a deal.

I'd recommend contacting members like Grousefly, Snake River, & Shipahoy (none of which have read your post, as of yet) and explain your situation & financial limitations. They may be willing to send you some samples, or cut you a good deal on their products. Won't cost you a cent to ask.

... cp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12