Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: split rings

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I use a #3 on the pull point on the baits I paint, and a 2 1/2 fine on the hooks. This came recommended to me and has worked very well. The pliers I use are made in Pakistan with a bent tip like Mr Dux uses and were cheap as I remember.The bent tip works great.
    I'm curious as to the reasoning behind the fine split ring on the hooks ...??

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hang a hook and straigten the ring, not loose the crank. Rings and hooks are cheaper than finding that perfect bait again. I have a couple that I will openly cry if I ever loose them. Not my idea as I have already said, and y'all know who taught me.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Hang a hook and straigten the ring, not loose the crank. Rings and hooks are cheaper than finding that perfect bait again. I have a couple that I will openly cry if I ever loose them. Not my idea as I have already said, and y'all know who taught me.
    I did a test on the split rings made by Worth ...(my supplier said he gets them direct from Worth) ...

I used a poundage scale used for testing bow weight pull (archery) ...the scale has a sliding stop that marks the point where the "pull" stops ...

I tested the Worth #3 Stainless split ring against the Worth #3 fine Stainless split ring ...

The Worth #3 Stainless split ring consistently failed at 45lbs of steady pull ...
    The Worth #3 fine Stainlless split ring consistently failed at 21lbs of steady pull ...

I would surmise that the fine Stainless split ring effectively "doubles" the chances of saving the bait upon a major hangup ...

(It most likely also means that large fish hooked such as drum or catfish may actually pull hard enough to fail the fine split ring...but still save the bait) ...

I would doubt any crappie could create enough drag to fail the fine spilt ring ...
    -------
    -------
    I also tested the brass fine #3 split ring and it failed at less than 10lbs of steady pull (my bow poundage scale does not read that low) ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the poundage of pull that it would take to make these fail but I will tell of two instances. One of my baits was tied up in a wad of line someone had thrown overboard and I found. Lost my patience trying to get it undone while fish are loading up the other rods and pulled hard on the bait and got the bait, minus the hook as I had straightened the ring. While fishing today I hung 2 whiskerfish that would have been 4lbs or better and while trying to net them I caught a free treble in the net but didn't get the fish in the net. That was how I got them over the gunnel with them thrashing and making a fuss, but the fish went back and the rings on either stood for the fight without so much as stretching. For what it's worth, this was how I was told by one of the best in Mississippi to do things. He was the teacher and I the student and I'll go with his experience. Thanks for the test Rickie, you always help us all.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

interesting

thank you all

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

pPliers I use. The little tip digs in between the rings. New Rapala 8 1 2 Stainless Steel Pliers Free Shipping | eBay
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D";3020728]pPliers I use. The little tip digs in between the rings. [URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221828663423?lpid=82&chn=ps
    New Rapala 8 1 2 Stainless Steel Pliers Free Shipping | eBay[/URL]
    I got this model (x2 or his and hers). It works goo on round split weights. You know, the split weights that somehow are always closed when you pick it up to put on your line.

I had a hard time opening a split ring with them. Split ring is too tiny.

I ordered a tool like MRDUX has. That don't work, I will try somethin else.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    I did a test on the split rings made by Worth ...(my supplier said he gets them direct from Worth) ...

I used a poundage scale used for testing bow weight pull (archery) ...the scale has a sliding stop that marks the point where the "pull" stops ...

I tested the Worth #3 Stainless split ring against the Worth #3 fine Stainless split ring ...

The Worth #3 Stainless split ring consistently failed at 45lbs of steady pull ...
    The Worth #3 fine Stainlless split ring consistently failed at 21lbs of steady pull ...

I would surmise that the fine Stainless split ring effectively "doubles" the chances of saving the bait upon a major hangup ...

(It most likely also means that large fish hooked such as drum or catfish may actually pull hard enough to fail the fine split ring...but still save the bait) ...

I would doubt any crappie could create enough drag to fail the fine spilt ring ...
    -------
    -------
    I also tested the brass fine #3 split ring and it failed at less than 10lbs of steady pull (my bow poundage scale does not read that low) ...

Rickie
    You need to git one of those Line Force Dynamometers. This is a high tech name for a digital fish scale.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Got to agree CP, the plier's Dux recommended look good. Post your results.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "D" View Post
    Got to agree CP, the plier's Dux recommended look good. Post your results.
    I tried a couple of other styles. Quit looking after I got those. I bought mine from a local bait/supply store that probably opens more split rings in a week than I will in a lifetime. Only kind they use any more. I paid a whole lot more than the Amazon price for them also.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast