Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Plastic vs live ?

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I use "jigs" 99% of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Plastics cover more more water than live bait and at different depths and speeds depending on tackle. The minnow type lure I usually cast looks more like a minnow than a minnow with its tail action and I can alter size and color by opening another box that contains what I want. Other than ice fishing (and usually not even then) I will stick with soft plastics.

Post Thanks / Like

Last spring at our camp I was fishing (and being the camera boat) in the same tree top with another boat we were filming. They were fishing under a cork with live while I was using artificial. They out fished me 4 to 1. Ok, so maybe some of it was me, but I still think there are times when live will be the ticket.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A jig has never let me know a fish was looking at it... a minnow will let you know
    I always approach each spot and fish jigs 1st catch the active ones til the bite stops then switch to minnows and pick up more fish
    For me its about using all the tools
    Likes scrat, Tracker123, Progator135 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

All said and done, crappie don't get fat eating jigs.
    Randy Andres
    Likes theygotaeat, scrat, Marvin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

To me it is so simple. Why limit yourself ? What ever it takes to catch them is the route I always go. Seen guys being skunked either way and refuse to change. I carry minners , plastics and my own hand tied jigs EVERY trip.

I prefer to catch them on my hand tied jigs. But not too proud to change to something else if they ain't working that day.
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Once I get better at consistently locating fish, then I will narrow down my options. But I feel like the minnows tell me if I'm even in the right area. Last night I caught one on a jig. Cast out slip bobber with minnow to same spot, another fish. Continued to try both for next hour, nothing??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theygotaeat View Post
    A jig has never let me know a fish was looking at it... a minnow will let you know
    I always approach each spot and fish jigs 1st catch the active ones til the bite stops then switch to minnows and pick up more fish
    For me its about using all the tools
    The crankbait king right here... I bet you tip each hook with a minner...6 minners to a crankbait...thats how you rake em in!
    Likes theygotaeat, Tracker123, RMGeorge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic vs live ? I'm not tell'n

Post Thanks / Like

LIke someone else has said - forgot now - You have to lose the hard-headedness. Some may confuse confidence with hard-headedness - or come to think of it, it might be the same..ha. But I will start my day with one jig, one jig tipped with a shiner, one just straight shiner(s). I can honestly say for the waters I fish the double minnow rig gets hit first 95% of the time. But I always throw other options for that other 5%. You can just never tell what theyre into that day till you try everything. GOtta be open minded and try new stuff....even if it means draggin big ol crankbaits around like your trollin for salmon.
    Likes theygotaeat, Tracker123 LIKED above post

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast