Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does wind direction matter in summer on deeper fish?

Post Thanks / Like

North don't come forth

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's so much the "direction" of the wind, as much as it's the "reason" for the direction of the wind. I also don't think "deeper fish" are as affected by the effects of wind, fronts, barometric pressure, etc.

... cp
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    I'm of the opinion the wind sets up currents that we may not notice but the crappie sure do.

I troll cranks for several months out of the year. I find deep crappie are seriously current minded. Lots of times I will troll a pass, marking fish, from say north to south, and not catch a fish. Turn around and troll the same track from south to north, and I may catch several keepers. Same water, same fish, same bait, same speed. Only difference is the attitude the crappie are pointing. Unless I am not marking fish on a trolling pass, I will always troll that track both directions before I consider leaving the area.

I think the current/wind makes a huge difference.

I agree with this 100%

Post Thanks / Like

I also think the deeper fish are affected less by wind direction. Seemed to me a couple of years ago the wind was usually from the east and usually caught them.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Post Thanks / Like

my thinking is if you fish long enough lets say with a bad east wind they will bite sometime during the day, you just got to be there so what gomer has on the post before this one is really true about the 15 min 10 min after i leave is so true

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone keeps talking about the barometric pressure affecting the fish but, if the fish rise or fall 1 foot in the water, the barometric pressure changes. So how can they feed if they can't rise to the bait. I had seen smallmouth bass come up 30 feet to hit a topwater bait

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave the wave View Post
    Everyone keeps talking about the barometric pressure affecting the fish but, if the fish rise or fall 1 foot in the water, the barometric pressure changes. So how can they feed if they can't rise to the bait. I had seen smallmouth bass come up 30 feet to hit a topwater bait
    I think it only affects shallower fish, more than deep fish. Also, fish that come up from that 30ft depth are not intending on staying at the surface for any extended period ... just come up, eat, then go back down. They may be able to fill the air bladder as they come up, then expel the air as they go down, in that time frame, since they aren't going to be at the surface for any length of time. (then again, maybe the barometric pressure wasn't all that high, when those fish came up from 30ft down )

... cp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12