HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Knots and Rig drawings and setups for beginners

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kickingback View Post
    Does this thread cover trolling crank-baits? I wanted some good insight on the best rig for trolling a 6'-10' diving crank-bait on 6 lb line if possible. Not sure if a 1/2 oz weight will hold it down or how much line to let out or if using my standard trolling rods will work wih the extra weight. Lots of questions I guess...
    Looking for a drawing of rig setup too. Can't find much on the net except one youtube video that talks about using a 5 oz weight! I don't think my 12' rods will bow right with 5 oz and a crank on each but haven't tried yet. Any comments welcome.
    I will post this on the main crappie board where I am sure you will get responses and a drawing or two from the members.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kickingback View Post
    Does this thread cover trolling crank-baits? I wanted some good insight on the best rig for trolling a 6'-10' diving crank-bait on 6 lb line if possible. Not sure if a 1/2 oz weight will hold it down or how much line to let out or if using my standard trolling rods will work wih the extra weight. Lots of questions I guess...
    Looking for a drawing of rig setup too. Can't find much on the net except one youtube video that talks about using a 5 oz weight! I don't think my 12' rods will bow right with 5 oz and a crank on each but haven't tried yet. Any comments welcome.
    Here is the response from "G"

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...-cranks-101-a/

"Go to the MS board.......there is a sticky....crankbaits 101. Lots of good reading on this. Pulling crankbaits you do not use a weight.....you control depth by length of line out at 1.8 mph. Pushing crankbaits and controlling depth by weight I use a 3 oz weight. For pushing I use trolling weight rigs made by ScottV on the MS board. I use Okuma line counter reels and BnM P roTroller rods....I use two 14 ft. Two 10 ft. And two 8 ft."
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-03-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!!! You are the man!!
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

And around here, we use rods from 7ft to 20ft long ... Okuma line counter reels with heavy braid ... a 2oz trolling weight ... 5ft leader of 6lb test mono ... then a crank (usually a Bandit 300) ... pushed or pulled at 1.8mph ... with between 30-60ft of line out.

Everyone has their own way, that works for them ... and no one anyone else for doing it different, as long as it's successful !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another of my favorite double rig configurations. Be sure to use the smallest snap you can handle. I use a size 1.

Name:  Double Rig by Ship.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  47.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Thank-YOU SHIPAHOY, from a FLA., Minnow...LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes shipahoy41, djdsouff LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airwolf49 View Post
    Thank-YOU SHIPAHOY, from a FLA., Minnow...LOL
    That is pretty neat Airwolf49. Keep up the great work.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

You know, it really is best to eliminate all the extra weights and stuff on a basic rig because it will sometimes tangle up during casting. This is about as simple as you can make up a slip float rig but just as deadly. I prefer slip float fishing so I can quickly change depths from 2-40 feet and stay in the strike zone longer. I will twitch the retrieve a few times and then pause for about 15 seconds to let the jig settle back under the float. Then I will use that same cadence as I reel in the lure. (Twitch...twitch....Pause 15 seconds) Be sure your slip float can support a 1/8th ounce jig. It should sit half way down in the water when rigged correctly. I do use the tiny rubber float stop.

Name:  Basic Rig.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  43.8 KB
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 06-13-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

THANK-you Shipahoy 41, for ALL your Info...Really Helping this Minnow, Progress..I'm catching A FEW nice Crappie...in 95 degree Heat...lovin' it...!!!AirWolf49

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airwolf49 View Post
    THANK-you Shipahoy 41, for ALL your Info...Really Helping this Minnow, Progress..I'm catching A FEW nice Crappie...in 95 degree Heat...lovin' it...!!!AirWolf49
    You are most welcome Airwolf49