HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Spawn on LoZ? What gives?

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Spawn on LoZ? What gives?

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430791588.208039.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  42.1 KB
    This is a older ozark rod. Before they sold the company.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430791606.755167.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  109.9 KB
    Good old bass pro shop crappie rod. 6' long
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430791619.372940.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  53.6 KB
    Old favorite but a wee bit short for me now. It's 5'6" long.
    I use all three poles threw out the day. They all feel different and handle differently. But can shoot them all the same. It makes you a better dock shooter when you are able to switch out poles and keep consistency and accuracy.
    Now let's get this strait here. I'm not trying to toot my on horn here. The main reason I have three different poles is because I'm not going to go out and buy two more poles that match. I use what I have on hand. I run three different poles so I can change my bait color or size quickly.
    If I was starting out and wanted to buy a dock shooting pole I would by Berkly Cherrywood rod.
    That's the pole I started my family on.
    The only thing I don't like about the rod is the stainless steel guides.
    But it's a perfect rod for dock shooting. Good back bone and cheap on cost! Any light to Med rod will do tho. You just need to practice with it a lot!
    Last edited by KSFisherman; 05-04-2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: spelling fix
    Likes st041986 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

This is pretty typical spawn activity at LOZ when the water is clear. Fish are not going to be in 1'-2' of water when the water is this clear. They'll get up on the banks at dark, then back out to scattered deeper structure during the day.

Need to find dark shady structure during the day, shooting docks, sides of docks etc. If this rain gets the water muddy they'll get back on the banks, if not they'll spawn deeper, especially with the water warming up faster.
    Likes st041986 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Meller, have you been to the Gravois any recently? Is it really clear up there too?

Post Thanks / Like

I fished Fri. & Sat. 10 mm and caught a few males off the banks in 4 to 5 foot of water but caught the females in 25 to 30 foot of water in front of the docks.

Some guys I keep running into were anchored in 35 foot water in the middle of the cove catching fish.

In the last 3 weeks I have yet to catch a female crappie on the bank, but the bass have been in spawning for the last 2 weeks.

I think the cold front two weeks ago and UE raising and lowering the lake for the last 3 weeks has something to do with the odd spawn this year.
    Feathers, Fins & Fur. catch it, kill it, fry it or grill it
    97 Nitro 185 Blu/Wht 120 Mec.

Post Thanks / Like

Gravios is probably the clearest of all, it usually is. No I haven't been up there recently, but a coworker was up there all last weekend and said you might as well leave the boat at the dock until at least 7:30 pm. Then it got better, but not great.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 6' 6" bionic blade med light action from bps for shooting. I can't shoot a mile with that rod but that's all I really use it for. im with you KS dock shooting is deadly once you learn how to do it and HAVE THE RIGHT ROD!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm there every weekend and really haven't been catching them on the banks the last 3 weekends.
    It's been very speratic. I'm on the glaze arm and it's clear as a bell.

When I do clean the fish I have been getting very little females with eggs.
    Also seems the whites are very scarce.
    I'm sure there deeper but for me seem to have lock jaw during the day.
    I guess this weekend I might try at night.
    But that's when all the fun is going on

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck. We are at bull shoals right now and can't buy a crappie. The water is almost 70 degrees but the locals say they haven't spawned yet. We've tried deep shallow and everything in between. Very confusing.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12