HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Go to the MS board and read the sticky thread.....Crankbaits 101
    X3

Post Thanks / Like

I have never tried longlining crankbaits. Going to try it but I bought the cheap cranks from wLure Shop - More Saving, More Fishing they were much cheaper like less than 2 bucks each free shipping also. So if I don't really like it I won't be out of a lot of money. A lot of them were 99 cents so anyway I now have 24 new cranks(for $31.00) to try and if I lose them it won't be like losing 5 or 6 dollars each like the good lures cost. The scary part is if I do like it I will have to have the better lures then with all the other bells and whistles of longlining crankbaits. Crappie fishing is getting very expensive now a days but I love trying new ways.

Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I got into trolling maybe two or three years ago. I decided that spider rigging would be where I started. I deploy six rods off the bow...three on each side. They are generally rigged with a 3/4 oz weight and a single hook about 18 inches down the line from the weight. I tried using the double-minnow rigs but they stayed tangled up so much that I didn't think it was worth the effort. Somehow they go under the water just fine...and then tie themselves in knots while they are down there.

I troll using my trolling motor, generally 0.5 to 1.0 MPH. I bait hooks with live minnows most of the time, and at other times use jigs.

I read the fishing reports for the lakes I fish and use that as my guide for where to start fishing when I hit the water.

So far I've not found much success though. My best day ever I caught 9 fish. Most of the time I catch 0 to 2 fish, in 4 to 6 hours of trolling. As you can see, I'm still struggling my way up the learning curve. I know my gear is right...but finding fish and getting them to bite has been far more difficult than I thought it would be.

There are lots of great videos on youtube, and lots of great articles written on trolling...just read all you can...and then spend as much time as you can trying to put it all together on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    I have never tried longlining crankbaits. Going to try it but I bought the cheap cranks from wLure Shop - More Saving, More Fishing they were much cheaper like less than 2 bucks each free shipping also. So if I don't really like it I won't be out of a lot of money. A lot of them were 99 cents so anyway I now have 24 new cranks(for $31.00) to try and if I lose them it won't be like losing 5 or 6 dollars each like the good lures cost. The scary part is if I do like it I will have to have the better lures then with all the other bells and whistles of longlining crankbaits. Crappie fishing is getting very expensive now a days but I love trying new ways.

Let us know how those cranks work for you

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theygotaeat View Post
    Let us know how those cranks work for you
    MRDUX uses a bunch of these ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    MRDUX uses a bunch of these ...

Rickie
    I'm not sure what the finished number on those is but the blanks I paint are 549s. They will run about 12 feet deep with 100 feet of line out. We catch a lot of fish on them. To buy, put hooks and rings on them, and paint them I have less than $1.50 in each one. Of course that is not putting any value on the time I put into them. They are for my friends and myself so I don't sell them. I think ScottV does.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes theygotaeat, 262jp LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    I'm not sure what the finished number on those is but the blanks I paint are 549s. They will run about 12 feet deep with 100 feet of line out. We catch a lot of fish on them. To buy, put hooks and rings on them, and paint them I have less than $1.50 in each one. Of course that is not putting any value on the time I put into them. They are for my friends and myself so I don't sell them. I think ScottV does.
    Good to know they do work good because I bought a bunch they were already painted. I think about 16 were the 549's here is what I bought: If I had bought name brand I might for that price would have got 5 maybe 6 lures not counting shipping charges. Figures out about $1.33 each.

2 x C549X11 (C549X11) = $3.38
    2 x C549X18 (C549X18) = $3.38
    2 x C569X1 (C569X1) = $1.98
    2 x C549X6 (C549X6) = $3.38
    2 x C549X1 (C549X1) = $3.38
    2 x C549X34 (C549X34) = $3.38
    2 x M514X10 (M514X10) = $1.98
    2 x C253X11 (C253X11) = $1.98
    4 x C549X39 (C549X39) = $3.96
    4 x C549X2 (C549X2) = $3.96
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Sub-Total: $30.76
    Handling Fee: $1.00
    Free Shipping, 20-25 Business Days Shipping: $0.00
    Total: $31.76

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinhunter View Post
    I tried using the double-minnow rigs but they stayed tangled up so much that I didn't think it was worth the effort. Somehow they go under the water just fine...and then tie themselves in knots while they are down there.

I troll using my trolling motor, generally 0.5 to 1.0 MPH.
    Couple suggestions, if I may....
    Your leaders are too long. I have my bottom hook about 6" below weight, top hook is above weight whatever spacing I desire but on a 6" leader as well. Never tangles.

.5 is the fastest I go when spider rigging. I try to stay around .2-.3 mph most of the time. This is the most common mistake I see people make. I have had people trolling circles around me not catching while I am slaying them. SLOW DOWN!
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    Good to know they do work good because I bought a bunch they were already painted. I think about 16 were the 549's here is what I bought: If I had bought name brand I might for that price would have got 5 maybe 6 lures not counting shipping charges. Figures out about $1.33 each.
    Pay close attention to the hooks on those. I personally change out the hooks on the factory ones I bought. I think the hooks are inferior to even the lower priced trebles available here.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    Pay close attention to the hooks on those. I personally change out the hooks on the factory ones I bought. I think the hooks are inferior to even the lower priced trebles available here.
    When I got them in the mail I noticed the hooks were not very good. Can you tell me the size of treble hooks you use and where you purchase them in bulk. I just ordered some medium running cranks 647's and will need to change out there hooks also. Thanks Mr. mrdux for the help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast