Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost My Mind!

Post Thanks / Like

The worst part about this whole deal is that I have time right now to do this stuff. It is all under shelters and in buildings. The cold and rain is not an issue as far as me doing the work. I think about all I could be doing if that cap was on right now but all I can do is look at it. when the weather gets right, the fieldwork will start too. So I will have the right weather but won't have the time.Sucks big time.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good cant wait to see top go on and ready for water.
    Likes crappiefarmer LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

fell your pain man-- got a couple warm days here so while i was waiting on the snow to melt got to work on my boat a little- ready to mount the Helix now but hope, and need to work the rest of the week.....waiting on your next chapter......
    My wife swears I only do enough surveying to support my hunting & fishing because I'm too busy hunting & fishing !

Post Thanks / Like

Got back on the boat yesterday morning. Got some fiberglassing done yesterday finally! started with the center floor between the stringers. The hull was only 1/4" thick so beefed it up with 2 layers of 1 1/2 oz mat and 2 layers of woven mat.

Then resined and glassed up 1/2 of the transom, put the other half over it and screwed it down until the resin squished out around the sides.

Then started on what will be the bottom side of the floors.

This was a single layer of 1 1/2 oz mat. The to side will be done later. It will be cut to fit the hull inside then the top side will be glassed with a couple layers of 1 1/2oz mat. The only other place now that will have woven glass will be on the transom. got clamps ready and will post pics of that when clamps are installed. Got to get another 5 gallons of resin and 100 feet of 1 1/2oz mat monday morning. Started at 8am and ran out of material buy noon. Went and got on the tractor until 10:30 last night. Fiberglass kicked in about an hour after we were through. Cured out good now. More to come.CF

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah. Center hull is now 1/2" thick instead of 1/4". The hull bottom is going to be built like a tank when we are done.CF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer View Post
    Oh yeah. Center hull is now 1/2" thick instead of 1/4". The hull bottom is going to be built like a tank when we are done.CF
    1/2" gonna be enough? lotta weight on that hull. I can get one of the engineers to run some calcs, need to know "dead" load.
    Likes Idunno, jim.b LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
    1/2" gonna be enough? lotta weight on that hull. I can get one of the engineers to run some calcs, need to know "dead" load.
    Hey, what you saying Bruscoe?CF

Post Thanks / Like

Default UPDATE!

Got the transom put in this evening. We wet the old inside fiberglass skin down with resin and then applied 3 sheets of 1 1/2oz mat that we precut to fit the transom. Applied resin and wet down each layer thoroughly. then rolled the back side of the transom wood with resin, placed in the slot, Ran some screws through the motor mount holes from the back outside to pull the new transom up until we could get clamps on and then applied clamps until resin was squishing out all around the edge. That is critical.

Taped up all the little holes that the previous idiot owner drilled through the hull and the are now full of resin and a bunch or glass between them and the wood. will trim everything up tomorrow, fill in the side pockets with foam filler and then replace the caps and glass them back in so they are sealed off. the side of the transom that is facing the inside of the boat will be glassed in with woven mat for strength and will be tied into the bottom hull with woven mat. Clamps will come off in the morning as the resin has already kicked. Little closer all the time.CF
    Likes love2fish, Davedirt LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

looking good

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good CF, your inbox is full.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast