Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about spawn

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naturenut View Post
    how far will those females travel in & out of shallow water to deep water ?
    Since studies show that 70-80+% of Crappie return to their previous spawning areas, year after year, it's all a matter of where they were "last time" and however far from the spawning bed area that they staged "last time". There's no set rule of "how far", as long as the beds are in the right depth/temp of water and all other conditions are favorable. They did their thing last year at those places, and all things being equal (or nearly so) the majority of the survivors will attempt to use those same places this time.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

thx for the reply.
    people say that a female will go up to a shallow bedding area, and return back out to deeper water, time after
    time, until she spawns. i was curious, how far they will travel during this period.
    if the distance is to far, will they just stay in the bedding area ?
    i have a spot like this, and like to try and catch them out in the deeper area. but not sure if they would even travel
    back & forth this distance... about 200 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Since studies show that 70-80+% of Crappie return to their previous spawning areas, year after year, it's all a matter of where they were "last time" and however far from the spawning bed area that they staged "last time". There's no set rule of "how far", as long as the beds are in the right depth/temp of water and all other conditions are favorable. They did their thing last year at those places, and all things being equal (or nearly so) the majority of the survivors will attempt to use those same places this time.

... cp

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naturenut View Post
    thx for the reply.
    people say that a female will go up to a shallow bedding area, and return back out to deeper water, time after
    time, until she spawns. i was curious, how far they will travel during this period.
    if the distance is to far, will they just stay in the bedding area ?
    i have a spot like this, and like to try and catch them out in the deeper area. but not sure if they would even travel
    back & forth this distance... about 200 yards.
    I'm no expert on this, but I doubt a female would travel 200yds, back & forth. They'd more than likely be at the first depth change (drop off) or around a submerged tree just out from the spawning bank.

If you find them 200yds from a spawning bank, it's likely they're on their way TO the spawning/staging area.

If it were me ... I'd start looking for the females out along a quick depth drop of at least 2 - 3ft deeper than the water over the beds. Any creek channel or ditch or washout will have a edge where the bottom drops lower than the surrounding area. These can be the "highways" that the Crappie use to get to these spawning grounds. And Crappie aren't always spawning "up against the bank" ... all they require is the right depth and bottom composition, water clarity, wood or weeds or sometimes even rocks, protection from heavy current & wind, and the proper water temp. Sometimes those conditions are yards away from the shoreline, but the fish don't care. And if I don't find them at the first bottom depth drop, I'd keep going out deeper & deeper (along any channel present) until I did find them or I reached the mouth of the creek or bay. At that point, I'd look for them on either point of the mouth, just around the outside of either of those points, or smack dab in the middle of the mouth of that creek/bay.

... cp
    Likes pescador LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread, lots of good info here.

Post Thanks / Like

thx alot 'Pappy', that gives me a clear picture on what to target now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answers everyone this just blows my mind every year but now I've got an understanding of what's going on

Post Thanks / Like

info helped me today, thx.
    this 14''er was the biggest.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12