Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need a new battery?

Post Thanks / Like

I did leave it out in the garage all winter and it got pretty cold. Maybe that's part of the problem? In previous years I brought it in.

Post Thanks / Like

get a new one and have one less worry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    Have you checked the battery acid level? I know they say you don't need to but I have and still do check mine and keep distilled water to replace to the full level. You can also take your battery to a auto parts store like autozone, advance auto,etc. and they can tell if a cell in the battery is dead and they don't charge for it or at least the stores close to my location don't.
    Gota go with SCRAT

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't replace it now you will be replacing it within the next year or two anyway. Everyone has different opinions on this but I feel anything over 3 years is gratis. If it's a 24 volt system for the TM you will need to replace both. The weaker one will shorten the life of the newer one, or so I was told by several folks when I did mine. Also, one more thing off your mind that will let you focus on the fish, I hear Canada has a few.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Going to get one at lunch. It's a 12 volt system. Menards has them for $60 after rebate this week. Heading to Nashville tomorrow to visit friends/vacation for spring break and plan on doing a little fishing also.
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the late answer. As with this great forum there wasn't a shortage of great answers. I used Auto zone as well.peace of mind will be well worth the purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the best deep cycle battery you can get. The cheapest isn't always the best. When you had your battery in the garage did you have it sitting on the concrete floor? That will draw a battery down pretty quick. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

You can take it in to most auto parts stores and they test batteries for free.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    When you had your battery in the garage did you have it sitting on the concrete floor? That will draw a battery down pretty quick. EB
    Not anymore, Beave. The hard plastic cases of today's batteries will not conduct an elec. charge outside the casing, whether it's sitting on a concrete/cement floor or in a pool of water.

... cp
    Likes moskeeter56 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I know you already said you replaced it but just for future reference....get yourself a digital multimeter. Charge the battery to 100% then let it sit overnight and check it with the meter. If it is 12.4 volts or less replace it. A good fresh fully charge battery should be 13.0-13.1 volts and as they loose life they spiral downward in voltage. A battery that is 12.4 or less has lost most of it's useful life and is on fast track to death. Best to go ahead and replace it then and not get stuck on the water or be out there trying to pull start, which is not good for todays newer motors as they need the reserve power to run high pressure fuel pumps and on-board computers. IMO every boat owner should have a multimeter and learn the basics of using it. It will also help you run down trailer lighting problems, boat switch issues and other gremlins. I won't be without one.
    Likes MontanaBoy LIKED above post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12