Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Plastic vs live ?

Post Thanks / Like

I just deleted a bunch of posts here. Please, lets not turn this into a heated political conversation. Remember, there are "nice" ways to say stuff without offending. Please use them. And I know most all you do. So no worries.

Oh, I use minners when minners is what they are hitting, plain and simple. But yes, if they will hit an artificial, then no need to torture the messy little critters. lol
    Having said that, and I've traveled a lot across this country, I have definitely seen where it was like night and day! No minners meant you did not get a single bite!
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the pro's use minnows, but I'm not a pro.
    I'm sure that the minnows will up the catch rate some, but I'm not looking to catch every fish. Just the dumb ones. Selective harvest.
    I'm sure that minnows are the way it's been done for many years, we used to ride in horse drawn wagons too.
    I'd rather fool em than feed em.
    If I can catch em without minnows and the bite slows, I have another option. Do you?
    I don't have a problem staying awake when fishing with jigs, but I have caught a few winks waiting for the float to not float.
    I spent many weeks learning the habits of Crappie with a short UL rod and 4lb line and a 1/32 jig. What works and what doesn't matter is a real eye opener.
    All that said, to each his own.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes shipahoy41, Dollfly LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Since one of my posts was deleted, please forgive me if I in fact offended anyone. I am relatively new here and really just trying to learn. I tried to respond in a humorous way to an obviously controversial subject. Please forgive me if I have added fuel to the fire. I will keep my gun in it's holster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    Since one of my posts was deleted, please forgive me if I in fact offended anyone. I am relatively new here and really just trying to learn. I tried to respond in a humorous way to an obviously controversial subject. Please forgive me if I have added fuel to the fire. I will keep my gun in it's holster.
    No worries, wan't anything you said, just an incidental part of what I moved off. If anyone has questions about what I did move, you're more than welcome to PM me. Thanks.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

I decided a while back not to be hard headed when it came to catching fish, I used to be. I was a die hard jig fisherman for 20+ years. Now I carry minnows sometimes, learning to spider rig some. Figured out I like catching fish, don't really care how. Purty relaxing watching the cork sometimes, purty hectic sometimes too, Lol
    Doesn't matter how you do it, long as you havin fun !
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish with both. I just don't like others belittling others that use them. It's just not right.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Likes scrat LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jusanothajoe View Post
    I decided a while back not to be hard headed when it came to catching fish, I used to be. I was a die hard jig fisherman for 20+ years. Now I carry minnows sometimes, learning to spider rig some. Figured out I like catching fish, don't really care how. Purty relaxing watching the cork sometimes, purty hectic sometimes too, Lol
    Doesn't matter how you do it, long as you havin fun !
    AMEN
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Crappitier LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Me, well I am an old school crappie fisherman and proud of it!
    I fish with one rod rigged with a slip float to fish anywhere from 2-30 feet. Whatever the depth of the water is I divide it by two and that is where I start this particular rod. This had a double rig on it so I can offer two baits with different choices and colors. On the top hook is a minnow and the bottom hook is soft plastic with a crappie nibble rolled in garlic and anise.

I fish the other rod with a slip float to be 3 feet off the bottom no matter what depth of water.

Now whatever rod or technique starts to constantly produce is what I will do for the rest of that particular day. If they want meat then I will feed them meat to catch my meat for dinner. If they want soft plastic then I am just as thrilled to fool them and catch them on something that I personally made like these paddle tail minnows.

Name:  My favorite paddletails.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  45.1 KB

So I guess I am saying ..To each his/her own preferred method. I just use the WW. method (Whatever Works)
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes lowe rider LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I just have a confidence issue with jigs. I've had a couple of really good trips with jigs but not anything consistent. Recently I learned to push Kentucky rigs with minnows and have had decent success. Here we're only allowed 3 poles, so I'll usually push 2 poles with minnows and cast a jig with the other. I almost always get bit on the minnows and not so much on the jig. After reading some of these posts, I'm wondering if by casting it's being retrieved too fast. Maybe trying Ships method with the slip float will help. Can I just switch out the minnow hooks with jigs on the Kentucky rigs? Should you go light in that case with 1/32? I guess I just need to make a few trips without minnows and just force myself to switch up until I find something that works.

Post Thanks / Like

I only use Jigs with Soft Plastics, or Feather Streamers with a Fly Rod.

If you don't get bit right away, just downsize! Even better than live minnows is a 1/80 oz jig with a 1" Gulp Alive plastic Minnow. Tight Line casting with a UL and 2 lb test, or under a Bobber with a L action spin and 6 lb test. Both are Fish Catchers!

I don't use live minners because way too expensive and too much trouble in this hot weather! I always outfish my "live bait" buddies!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast