Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: crappie won't go down to hit a bait?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Feeding down

I'm of the school that fish are where you find them and that includes the bottom, with regards to crappie. Ice out and late fall, one of our most productive presentations is to slow roll (VERY slow) Roadrunner type jigs along the bottom. I always try to approach fishing without any per-conceived notions.

Another "rule" supposedly says that when you are fishing for crappie and they stop biting, "Slow Down" and when you think you are going too slow, slow down some more. Yet as you can see from some of my posts from 2014, we drifted jigs in high wind with our jigs almost breaking the surface they were moving so fast. And yet, we totally clocked 'em! Go figure!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Well if the fish are on the bottom already there is no way that they can feed lower. They will strike what they see in front of them. If they only feed on what is above or in front of them is a myth why is it that I cannot just fish on bottom all the time and catch crappie? Why do fishermen ask what depth water the crappie are biting in? Why is it that I can catch crappie at say 3' and not 4' deep at times if this is was a myth? I am just saying that it looks like this old saying that crappie only feed upward is more truth than untruth or everyone needs to just fish on the bottom.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

NickD is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, the rule that fish don't go down to hit a bait applies primarily to suspended fish. mostly because with their eye placement the cant see the bait when its underneath them. If you are fishing on the bottom, especially dragging a bait, it makes a lot of noise and vibrations on the bottom and the fish feel it rather than see it. Another thing I've learned about fishing is to never say never.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Official Off Shore Tackle Youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS3E...-nRh4HnQw/feed
    Likes scrat, Crestliner08, skeetbum LIKED above post

NickD is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    I'm of the school that fish are where you find them and that includes the bottom, with regards to crappie. Ice out and late fall, one of our most productive presentations is to slow roll (VERY slow) Roadrunner type jigs along the bottom. I always try to approach fishing without any per-conceived notions.

Another "rule" supposedly says that when you are fishing for crappie and they stop biting, "Slow Down" and when you think you are going too slow, slow down some more. Yet as you can see from some of my posts from 2014, we drifted jigs in high wind with our jigs almost breaking the surface they were moving so fast. And yet, we totally clocked 'em! Go figure!
    Do you think they wanted them faster or did the fish move up in the water column?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Official Off Shore Tackle Youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS3E...-nRh4HnQw/feed

Post Thanks / Like

When they are on the bottom or ver near it, they will eat off the bottom! That is why if I stumble on some on beds near the shore I use a Flame Red/ Black & FL Yellow Body/Hot Orange tail on my little Roadrunners. I also use that color anytime our water is more stained that normal and I do believe they think it's crawfish!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post

There have been time I long line trolled a 1/32 Oz Roadrunner in 20' of water and did well on crappie! They will come up and get it!!!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been discussed before, about Crappie eating "craws" : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...crappie-craws/

And yes, I've used plastic craws to catch Black Crappie (1.5") and even caught one on a 4" craw ... and the craw was no where near the bottom. Black Crappie do have a tendency to eat more critters & crustaceans than a White Crappie normally will, but I wouldn't put it past a White Crappie to eat anything it can get in its mouth ,,, if it's hungry enough or guarding a bed.

And while the eyes of Crappie are positioned to see forward & upward ... they will dive down after food, just not very far. They're opportunistic feeders, not slash/dash chasers ... and prefer the stealth approach from underneath their prey, if possible.

... cp
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Back in the day, two different times, I went with my Dad and he used minners under a float on the bow. I used small white crawdads under a float on the stern, and we caught about the same amount of crappie both times. The lake we were fishing was a shallow cypress filled lake. I wouldn't hesitate to hook a small live crawdad on to catch a crappie.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Do you think they wanted them faster or did the fish move up in the water column?
    Not sure! When this presentation is successful for us, we have 1' - 2' whitecaps pumping out (from any direction). I have no idea how fast we drift, but it's pretty darn fast. We also catch bluegill and yellow perch on this presentation as well. Go figure!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Was verticle jigging last week a foot off the bottom. Watching RTS saw a fish3 feet up and drop like a stone straight down and took my jig. Pulled him in and it was the biggest crappie of the trip. I do think generally they prefer to eat up but if they are active and hungry they will drop to a bait if it catches their eye.
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast