Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain and fishing electronics don't mix well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yikess View Post
    The rain ruined my Gen-1 Lowrance HDS-7 and Lowrance wouldn't repair it. I hope someone starts a class action lawsuit against them so I can join in. When you try to file a claim with them they will tell you thy no longer service that generation but will offer you a discount on a new unit for another $800. No thank you. I've learned my lesson. They are a disgrace to the fishing electronics industry.
    Yep, typical Lowrance response and customer service; that's why I moved away from them to 'Bird a few years ago. Don't care how good their tech is if they won't stand behind it, and they've been a me-too company for the last 20 years or so.

No problem with my Birds no matter the weather, and I've been out in some real downpours. Boat's garaged, so can't speak to leaving outdoors with the units still on the boat. Others are right, if you're developing condensation there's something wrong with the seal and you should send it out for service.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think I may have over thinked this and I have read here that the newer and expensive sonar units are waterproof. But to be on the safe side as I would not won't to replace a sonar and yes mine are older models but still working good. I am going to keep some gallon ziplock storage bags to cover my sonars in case I am caught in a hard rain. I can place these over the sonars and zip up each side at the bottom to keep the rain out and still be able to see and use them some in the rain and best of all they are cheap. They also make 2 1/2 gallon ziplock storage bags that might cover the 7-8" sonars. I just think that it is better to be safe than to take chances.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Well......I leave my Humminbirds on the boat uncovered....been in the rain with them...heck I soap them down and wash them when I wash the boat for thirty years now.....never a problem so its not just the new ones that are sealed. They are designed and built to be used in wet invironments.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yikess View Post
    The rain ruined my Gen-1 Lowrance HDS-7 and Lowrance wouldn't repair it. I hope someone starts a class action lawsuit against them so I can join in. When you try to file a claim with them they will tell you thy no longer service that generation but will offer you a discount on a new unit for another $800. No thank you. I've learned my lesson. They are a disgrace to the fishing electronics industry.
    Same reason no one in my family owns a Lowrance anymore...
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All of my Lowrance/Eagle depthfinders have been used in the fog, rain, & snow .... over the years since back in the 1970's ... and they all died of old age (avg 15yrs service). My boats have always been stored outside, under tarps or boat covers, but I don't leave the electronics attached when stored or when traveling to/from any lake.

... cp

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    I leave mine on....have for years....no problems....I even wash them when I wash the boat.
    x2!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

I put mine in a neoprene tablet sleeve....its cheap and works perfect, zips up around the gimble bracket pretty well. It is not so much to keep rain out but to keep the screen looking nice when not in use
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was just trying to find out how to protect my equipment, not trying to get a debate on which one is good or bad. All the sonars have came a long ways since way back in the early 70's when I got my first flasher which is still in the shed somewhere. All brands have gotten better and better the past few years with down imaging, side scan, GPS, underwater camera, and there is no telling what will come out next year.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

dallman is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a moisture problem and I normally try to upgrade every 5 years. I worry a lot more on keeping the screen clean of blood, bait, and fish attractors than water. I use a hose on mine also. 1199 and hds 12.
    Retired USN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast