Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TROLLING CRANKBAITS...Hey "G" and others....HELP NEEDED

NickD is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to use 10# mono, sometimes I'll use up to 15#. You can get away with heavier mono with cranks since you aren't finesse fishing. The main reason I like 10# is that is what the dive charts by Precision Trolling use. If i'm in an area with a lot of snags then Power Pro would be good, I'm just not a fan of using braid with planer boards.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Official Off Shore Tackle Youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS3E...-nRh4HnQw/feed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Skarlis View Post
    An invaluable tool to helping an angler figure out how deep a crank will run is the Precision Trolling Data - they have both stickers for your tackle box and an App for both I-phone and Android.
    Here is an address for more information about the PTD: PRECISION TROLLING | thenextbite.tv

If you want to get a crank down deeper - I would suggest trying Off Shore Tadpoles - the #1 size will do just about everything you need as far as depth. The Tadpole is an inline diving weight that releases when you have a fish on so you fight the fish and not the weight
    Here is an address for the Tadpole: Off Shore Tackle | Official Web Site OR36 1 Resettable Diving Weights
    Here is the dive curve for the Tadpole: Off Shore Tackle | Official Web Site OR3
    How do you calculate the extra depth the tadpole gives you?
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRiverMarine View Post
    Click here and go by the dive curve chart Off Shore Tackle | Official Web Site OR3
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

NickD is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRiverMarine View Post
    Use the chart from the link "G" gave. We usually use a 5-6' lead behind the tadpole. Use that as a starting point and adjust from there. When we fished LOZ last year with Tadpoles and cranks, we had 2 OR-12 planer boards out each side, a Mini board on the inside, and a dead rod out each corner. we ran the outside board with no weight, and the rest had #1 tadpoles. With the dead rods, we could quickly change depth and once we found one depth was working better than others, we would then adjust the ones on the boards. At .9mph, it is close to a 2 to 1 ratio. If we wanted to fish 30' down, we would let 60' of line out.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Official Off Shore Tackle Youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS3E...-nRh4HnQw/feed
    Likes BigRiverMarine LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks "G" and Nick. Great info.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12