Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info request for Lake Marion Potato Crk area

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Info request for Lake Marion Potato Crk area

We'll be coming to Potato Creek area Mar 13-20. Pulling, tight-lining, jigging for crappies. Any local info to help get ahead of learning curve appreciated. May bring cat rods also. I fish Kerr lake on NC/VA border and would be glad to exchange info if you ever come to the other Carolina. Sitting here today looking at 10 in snow - walls closing in. Thanks for the help. Tomcat 61
    Likes catchemgirl LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'll bite.... Welcome to Crappie.com its interesting you'd ask for help on one of the tuffest lake's in the state for your 1st post but here goes..... LONG-line for the tightlining stuff start at the road and pull all the way out to the main lake.... IF they are in there you'll catch them. don't forget moultrie you can run to the canal and access it that way but It's a long pull from tater to canal by road, you may want to try Bell's Marina area to that across the lake from Tater.
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, stumpjumper. This will be first time to wet a hook in Santee. No great expectations but I try to learn something every time I go. I have been warned about some of the shallow water danger. Thanks for the info shout again. Tomcat 61

Post Thanks / Like

Hey tomcat61, we have a place on tater creek, stump is right start at the road and pull to main lake, the first thing I always do this time of year when I get down there is to set crappie poles out off the dock, if you have one, some times we catch more off the dock in late evening and night than we do out of the boat. I would be sure to bring the cat rods, we leave them set off the dock as well, but the cats should be in the shallows by then and we usually do pretty good on the big water side of NElsons cut, it just so happens I will also be down there that week so let me know if you need any help. I do pretty good on the water for an ole girl and I will be glad to help you out, happy fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks catchemgirl,, I don't have exact address of house we'll be staying in but picture shows a nice dock out back in tater creek. You bet we'll be setting crappie poles and cat rods off dock. May be calling on you for more info closer to date. Thanks again, Tomcat61

Post Thanks / Like

I would also look for bush piles in the creek and out to the lake. I don't fish that area, but you should catch some jigging the piles especially in 15 to 20 FOW. Lots of places to fish and easy to get confused choosing where to go. Every tree and stump looks like it should hold fish, and many do.

Name:  DSCF0041.JPG
Views: 2260
Size:  53.5 KB

Above all, make sure you know where you are before you run full throttle. A lot of the lake was filled without clearing the trees. Drop the lake about 6 ft and this is what is down there.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Searay, I had heard about the dangers just under the surface but seeing them brings it home. Makes you wonder just how many close calls we have all had and didn't realize it. Sounds like the main creeks are filled with BP like they are in Kerr. All info is appreciated. Thank you. Tomcat61

Post Thanks / Like

If your comng in May, brush piles will be king. Most spawning will be over for black crappie, some whites should still be in the shallows. Shallow brush will be best 7 to 12 ft. deep with the fish aggressively feeding in post spawn mode
    Professional Crappie Removal
    Safe and ethical
    One rod, one jig, one fish at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Inkdabber, we'll be there in March (two weeks) so maybe we'll hit the pre-spawn and we'll definitely hit shallow brush as well as brushpiles. Thanks for the shout. Tomcat61

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I misread your time frame. If mid march, by far long line and tight line trolling will be best. Historically, mid March is prime time for big fish to be on the move and eagerly chasing jigs, or minnow tipped jigs.
    Professional Crappie Removal
    Safe and ethical
    One rod, one jig, one fish at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast