Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY cane pole question.

Post Thanks / Like

My brother and I cut some off the old home place and laid them on a flat metal roof to dry. The problem was they dried to fast and got brittle. I would think that if you have a steady supply you could use them green cut and when they started to become to dry toss them and cut new ones. Just my . Good luck
    FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

I would cut some that looed good then tape them to a piece of emt pipe and put them in the attic all winter, by spring they would dried out,sand them and varnish.Then cut them to size,got many years of use.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I use them put several in a peace of 3in. pvc or whatever you have around let dry .I try to make sure the smaller end is in the pvc than the end you will hold if you boo is longer than your pipe .If you have lots of little ones learning to fish ,better not having to worry about bream busters getting broke lol

Post Thanks / Like

Varnishing while green and before drying will prevent excess cracking,( a trick I learned when drying staves for my selfbows.)
    Likes MNKK, funbun LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy did some here in Kentucky a couple of years back - I am still using the two I pilfered from him. I think he hung them up skinny side up in an old tobacco barn to dry for the over winter, letting the weight of the pole itself on the butt end keeping them straight. Worked just fin in my opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12