Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crappie Already with Eggs

Post Thanks / Like

At our lake you catch crappie at any given time with eggs.
    If I dont ask its my fault for not knowing

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie take several months to develop eggs, starting in late Summer ... but, when & how fast they develop depends a lot on their geographical location (& the subsequent prevailing conditions of the waters in that location).

Unless the water temps do not change drastically throughout the year, I doubt a Fall spawn would survive ... if in fact they do "actually" spawn in the Fall. The fry & their food source can't survive very low water temps.

Many people "thought" that Crappie were spawning in the Fall ... simply because they were finding egg sacs in them. But, even if the eggs were developed enough to lay in the Fall ... the milt production of the males may not be, which would lead to a "false spawn" or (at best) an "attempted" one. If the males don't make beds & wait on the females to come, there would be little chance of a viable spawn.

... cp
    Likes scrat, Dollfly, Yodibuzz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Female Black crappies produce an average of 40,000 spherical eggs, the number depending on their age and size. After spawning, the male watches over the nest until eggs hatch, which is usually about 2–3 days. Newly hatched fish larvae are about 2.32 mm long and appear translucent. They stay in the nest for several days before moving to shallow, sheltered waters And White crappie spawn in May and June. Spawning occurs when the water temperature reaches 56 degrees Fahrenheit. Males construct nests by creating small bowl shaped depressions on the bottom around brush, rocks, and logs in shallow water. Females lay 5,000 to 30,000 eggs.The males guard these nests until the fry swim away. If this information is true I don't see why there are not plenty of fish in our lakes. I know that other fish eat the fry while they are young but if for just 1 year there was a good hatch. Well I learn a long time ago that a person can only believe a small portion of what he hears and reads and only half of what he see's,but it doesn't hurt to dream.

P.S. this came from (
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Post Thanks / Like

Comorants --- Eat over one pound of Fish each day. They eat lots of Shad, But we catch lots of Crappie with severe injuries from these Protected birds. Many fish die that did get away. If you have 1000 of them , How many Gamefish have these water Buzzards kept from growing up to become Keepers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INTIMIDATOR View Post

Even though Crappie are HUGE spawners, they are also one of the most delicate....things really have to come together to have a successful spawn...Crappie spawn year after year in the same area/cove/bay/shoreline,
    Up here in PA, they seem to spawn in the same spots every year. And Crappie grow very fast?

The FC stocks 10K to 30K Crappie Fry every year in the "clean" lakes. Good, healthy populations in all the lakes in Central PA?

A Fish Biologist told me that Crappie sometimes spawn 2 times a year (just like the invading White Perch do)

Tight Lines,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Crappie take several months to develop eggs, starting in late Summer ... but, when & how fast they develop depends a lot on their geographical location (& the subsequent prevailing conditions of the waters in that location).

Unless the water temps do not change drastically throughout the year, I doubt a Fall spawn would survive ... if in fact they do "actually" spawn in the Fall. The fry & their food source can't survive very low water temps.

Many people "thought" that Crappie were spawning in the Fall ... simply because they were finding egg sacs in them. But, even if the eggs were developed enough to lay in the Fall ... the milt production of the males may not be, which would lead to a "false spawn" or (at best) an "attempted" one. If the males don't make beds & wait on the females to come, there would be little chance of a viable spawn.

... cp
    Pappy
    Crappie are in Every part of our Country...the one common factor is that unless they are hybribs, they follow the exact same temperature patterns whether they are in the N, S, E, Or W....except for one....spawns!
    It is proven that Crappie spawn in the Fall, also the zooplankton and microscopic food that Larval Crappie and Fry live on in the Spring are the Same zooplankton and microscopic food, that mature Crappie live on under the ice in Winter here in the North. The reason why Crappie grow faster in the South but live longer in the North is due to Prime water temp conditions which allow them to eat larger meals throughout the year in the South.
    If conditions are dry in the South and Spawns are interupted by fronts, etc, Crappie will Hold their eggs until Fall, they can do this because somehow their bodies know that they can still eat enough to trigger the hormones to start egg production again for the next Spring...in the North they tend to absorb them faster due to the lack of time they would have to gestate the next batch...but it does happen in the North also with cool summers that don't trigger the abortion.
    We have late Shad spawns also and many times have found 2-3 inch Crappie in the ice and ONE inch shad....One of my Favorite sayin' is that "Nature will find a Way"!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We had six fish with eggs yesterday when we cleaned them......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    Female Black crappies produce an average of 40,000 spherical eggs, the number depending on their age and size. After spawning, the male watches over the nest until eggs hatch, which is usually about 2–3 days. Newly hatched fish larvae are about 2.32 mm long and appear translucent. They stay in the nest for several days before moving to shallow, sheltered waters And White crappie spawn in May and June. Spawning occurs when the water temperature reaches 56 degrees Fahrenheit. Males construct nests by creating small bowl shaped depressions on the bottom around brush, rocks, and logs in shallow water. Females lay 5,000 to 30,000 eggs.The males guard these nests until the fry swim away. If this information is true I don't see why there are not plenty of fish in our lakes. I know that other fish eat the fry while they are young but if for just 1 year there was a good hatch. Well I learn a long time ago that a person can only believe a small portion of what he hears and reads and only half of what he see's,but it doesn't hurt to dream.

P.S. this came from (
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    The info is true...they just do not go into all of the factors....in the Wild, researchers speculate that only 1% may reach LEGAL size...ideas vary but BEST CASE scenerio is that 3% spawn once.
    First, all of those eggs are not always viable or get fertilized.
    When the Males sit on the nests, invaders (craws, worms, fish) will get in to eat eggs.
    Once the eggs hatch, invaders will eat fry (craws, bluegills, other fish, etc)
    At 70 degrees the Male heads off and the fry are on there own....they are a nice soft, small, piece of sushi FOR ANYTHING.
    EVEN at Adult size they are Prey for Musky, Walleye, Cats of all kinds, etc, etc!
    Then you have Water birds, Eagles, otters, coons, etc.
    Then polluted water, disease, dams, water fluctuations, algae blooms, etc.
    And in some cases MAN is the largest killer of Crappie...besides eating...Many Adult Crappie are killed by using TOO SMALL OF TACKLE/HOOKS and POOR HANDLING when catching and releasing!

At our MARINA during the Spawn, we have seen Thousands upon Thousands of SMALL dead Crappie, from people using SMALL MICRO HOOKS AND LURES and gut hooking them...they rip the hooks out and pitch the small Crappie back in!

And then they wonder why we have such huge population swings!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12