Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who fishes hair jigs/buck tails?

Post Thanks / Like

An option on tails: If you deer hunt, know someone who does, or have a game processor close by....save the tails. You can bone it out, stretch it and tack to a board. Rub salt over the rawhide where you cut the tail bone out and you can gather up some nice tails. There are all kinds of videos showing how to dye them different colors, if you want. I'm kinda like Don G, in that gray comes really close to imitating common baitfish. If tied right, bucktails have a really good profile in the water. Good luck!
    Future member of any forum deathb4disco moderates.

Member of Wally Marshall's Mr. Crappie Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't seen anyone talk about using any of the bear hairs, moose, mule deer - greyish color, elk, arctic fox (this can be dyed any color you want) - for what some of the small pieces go for tempted to buy a whole tanned skin, buffalo and bison, and for those looking for the 6-7 inch hair for big jigs Icelandic sheep hair, but it's softer than bucktail.

Post Thanks / Like

barlows has a good selection of deer tails to choose from

Post Thanks / Like

Something to think about, (craft hair ultra select). I use it for crappie jigs and small winter time bass jigs. it tends to hold up better after numerous bites where marabou usually is eaten off. Buck tail hair being oval is not always the easiest hair to tie, the follicles are slick and want to pull out from under thread unless you use some type of glue, just my .02 . I love all the different animal hair, bear, elk, even Buffalo just like how craft hair breaths in the water.
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the help guys this has became a very in formative thread for me. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Lift agree with ya!! I don't think I'll run out anytime soon!!LOL Had a bunch and hit a good sale last time I was in Michigan at Cabela's. The center ones are Targus and it's good stuff but hard to find. Also have Darice craft fur and it works good too.

Likes liftbite56 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Are the fibers in those all one length? And then you just cut it to the length desired?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I'll try to walk you through it. Gather a bunch of the tail and cut it away from the skin. Holding it in one hand, pull the longest hairs out and lay them down. Do this several times, each time keeping the tips at the same place. Once you do this a few times, pick up the hair from the tip end and cut it to the length you need off the buut end. This solves the different length problem as best as I know how.
    I do it just a little different because I never put it down. I grab what I want to cut off and but, then I hold in one hand about where I want the length to be when finished and then I pinch the longest hairs and pull them out and placing them in my pinch of the rest and I do this several times until I get the look I want. Your way is really the same, but I just didn't want to deal with having to pinch the bunch again. I do adjust the new ones into the old after each move with with the pulling and replacing back in. It;s kind of a pain, but worth it in the end.

Also use a few kind of loose wraps to innately hold the hair in place and I try to keep one of the less tight (out at end of wraps) wraps to help control the flair. Also I love using Danville 210 Denier Flat Waxed most of all, but do use some small thread if I need a color they don't make in the 210 stuff. I do also really like the Ultra Thread in 140 denier and their 210 is good too. I do not care for Uni-Thread much, but do use a couple colors in their 6/0 because I don't see them any place else. I do believe their is a place for the Uni though, maybe good on tying on barbell eyes on a fly hook is best?? Since I am basically heavy handed I do break them all, but not so much the 210 stuff and one reason I like it so much, plus I love how I can cinch it up some after the whip finish is done. I do hate that when doing a thread neck which is what we are talking about here is that if you break it at the finish, it will not stay like it will if tying chenille jigs.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
    Are the fibers in those all one length? And then you just cut it to the length desired?
    the select craft hair have three lengths of hairs I shuck the hair separate the longer ones from the middle lengths and don't usually dont use the shorter fury parts
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

Post Thanks / Like

x2 but I'll keep the fury parts and mix em up with the coffee grinder for different color dubbings.
    Likes skiptomylu LIKED above post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234