Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting in brush Eufaula

Post Thanks / Like

Default Putting in brush Eufaula

I have never put in brush piles or habitat to fish. I have a few questions and would like some input.... Brush will be going in on Eufaula. I have talked to the game warden and he said he didn't have any problems with it. I can't get a hold of anyone with the corps to ask them, so I will ask you all...

Is it legal or any restrictions?

What is the best "stuff" to use?

Depth/what do you look for in an area to drop brush?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Willows, Osage Orange, Oak, Just about anything. Drop offs and edges of pints are good locations. Restrictions depend on the particular body of water.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

As an old Army guy I'd say "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER
    Likes slab rustler, Timmy Tom LIKED above post

Ranger09 is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We have been brushing several areas of Eufaula for sometime. We (I) prefer Persimmon for several reasons. #1 is it's grows all over the lake and it makes a big pile and is open enough to fish it in and around it. Evergreens are to dense and eats jigs. Oaks and other hard woods have to many twigs to hang up on. Willows are to flimsy and move around when hung up and spooks the fish when moving. Beavers will not cut a Persimmon under water while they will cut a willow and other hardwood trees making them not lasting long. As far as depth it all depends on time of year you are interested in. Prespawn and spawn 8' to 14', summer 12' to 18', winter 16' to 25'. As far as area anywhere along rip rap, ends of points, a hump along the channel, the inside of a channel bend, rock humps. Don't be afraid to put them in open water far away from the banks. Summer time pattern will be main lake while pre spawn and spawn will mostly be in coves and creeks on Eufaula. I always try and find some type of existing structure to put my wood on like a big rock, stump, laydown log, or a place that I have caught fish before. Any pile is better than no pile. I also use telephone wire which is copper and will not rust out. Weights come right off the bank. If you have any questions you can call me anytime.......Ranger
    Mark McGuire 918-441-1453
    Guiding on Eufaula, Tenkiller, and Ft Gibson
    Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Fle Fly Outdoor Brandz Pro Staff & VIP Team Cordinator

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the info!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember, crappie are fairly stupid and if they have one eye behind anything, they believe they are invisible. Leland (Lipripper) helped me push some simple bamboo stakes along the walkway of the dock next door while the lake level was low. Never got a chance to take advantage of them because a few teenage boys came along one day and pulled them up. Kids..........hahaha.
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.
    Likes Crappie ciller LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Stink,
    That happens all the time. FWP put some really nice walleye nesting structures in Hefner a number of years back. Somebody or somebodies destroyed all of them the next time the water got really low. The large rock section that they put in north of the golf course is still there, and it holds a number of species, but you can't drive to it because Pete White (Ward 4 councilman and chairman of the Water Board) shut down Fisherman's Road, in spite of protests from everyone, including FWP.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Stinkfinger;2867039]Just remember, crappie are fairly stupid and if they have one eye behind anything, they believe they are invisible

Now that's a funny quote right there Stink and I can visualize it too! Let me know if you need more bamboo- I've got 300' of it and it is a very renewable resource so Obama says I can harvest all I want this year.
    Likes Stinkfinger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been thinking about sinking some more brush piles in eufaula too, if anyone is interested in working together let me know.
    Likes deerhunterodie, Frank300, slab rustler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Where abouts are you wanting to put brush at, slab addict?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast