Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Pole Jig Size

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 1/8th oz double cross jig made by Leland's lures. I pair that with 6 lb vicious hi vis yellow monofilament line. I fish that setup from 25 feet to 3 feet.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish deep with a rod in each hand, 50 fow. 8'rod, baitcasting reel with braid tied direct to a 1/8, 1/4, or 3/8 head with a brush guard and a #1 hook. The thump is awesome and the fish don't care about the braid. The baitcaster doesn't twist the line like a spinner giving drag and also has a smoother drag, keep it set a bit looser for the braid. Tips low to the water to help set the hook.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I mainly use one pole while perch fishing Lake Erie's deep central basin. We fish as deep as 70ft sometimes. I use my 7.5ft Richard Williams rod with the reel loaded with 8lb braid, for feel, and a caps and coleman type rig ( 1 oz ). Some days the school of perch are so thick they cover the bottom 10 foot of the lake. Action is down and up. Cut lake shiners in half is best bait.
    Name:  IMG_1059.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  40.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1054.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  53.1 KB
    Likes short grub, Tom 513, Gobob, DroptineJoe LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice haul Kenny.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We fish a deep clear lake 20-50' especially now.We like 1/8 -3/16 oz jig heads #4-#2 jig hooks on 2-4 lb test on 8-10' med-lite spinning rods and reels!! Fish into the wind of the brush,tree,rock or ledge!! Fish natural colors,Shad,bream colors pearl on sunny days,black,purple on cloudy days!! Don't just make one or to cast or pitches to cover sometimes it takes 10-15 cast or pitches to get them fired up!! On our lake can fish a 100 trees and not catch a fish and the next tree load the boat!! A trick I have learned is keep your trolling motor wash from swirling over the brush or tree!! The fish locators(depth finders) now are so powerful you can see the trolling motor(powerful)( 80-100 lb thrust) wash go down in the tree 20' you know this spooks the fish(crappie)!!Name:  12-20-13_1620.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  61.8 KBName:  12-20-13_1459.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  44.9 KBName:  DSC_0052.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  43.9 KB
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use 1/4 oz jigging brush tops deep. Went to a crappie fishing seminar and that's what they said to use so you could feel the brush better and I think it helps from getting hung up as much because you can feel the brush better just like they said. Sometimes the fish seem to prefer 1/8 though if they are being picky. I'm usually too stubborn to use the 1/8 unless I have 2 on then I am not fishing brush because I cant keep from hanging up.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys these are good responses and very helpful.I have also noticed a lot of line twist with my spinning reels. I wondered how to avoid this. I may try the baitcasting reel. I noticed that a lot of people use a weedguard. Which one works better metal or plastic?
    paddle faster i think i hear banjo music !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's all about staying in contact with your jig I will use a 1/16th oz most of the time if its windy I will use a 1/8th oz jig and 1/4 oz jig for heavy deep brush you can feel it good and get your jig back most of the time Hi Vis gold line is a must for me anyway you know it's all good when you can feel what your fishing like a log and when you drop down the side of it well "THUMPAGE" is what you should feel good luck to you sir and good fishing
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPSHUCK1 View Post
    Hey guys these are good responses and very helpful.I have also noticed a lot of line twist with my spinning reels. I wondered how to avoid this. I may try the baitcasting reel. I noticed that a lot of people use a weedguard. Which one works better metal or plastic?
    Line twist is a problem with most spinning reels, but it's not usually caused by the reel itself. It's usually from the lure spinning in the air upon casting, and to some degree from rotating as it falls through the water column. It can also occur when using baitcast equipment. Letting empty line out behind a slowly moving boat for a few minutes, then reeling it back on the spool under tension is one way to counter the twists (while on the water). Dragging empty line through the grass in your yard is another way.

I use weedless jigheads about 99% of the time, and the weedguards are plastic. I like them over metal, because I don't have to reset them in order for them to perform their function. Unless the metal guard is titanium, it would seem that one would have to continuously be cognizant of the positioning of the metal guard.

I use two versions of the plastic weedguard : the fiber "brush" style & the Y shaped plastic style -

Several members can custom make these style jigs for you ... I just happen to have Grousefly make mine. And he can & does make many other styles of weedless jigheads, like these :

Name:  50108_006.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  127.4 KB

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Line twist is a problem with most spinning reels, but it's not usually caused by the reel itself. It's usually from the lure spinning in the air upon casting, and to some degree from rotating as it falls through the water column. It can also occur when using baitcast equipment. Letting empty line out behind a slowly moving boat for a few minutes, then reeling it back on the spool under tension is one way to counter the twists (while on the water). Dragging empty line through the grass in your yard is another way.

I use weedless jigheads about 99% of the time, and the weedguards are plastic. I like them over metal, because I don't have to reset them in order for them to perform their function. Unless the metal guard is titanium, it would seem that one would have to continuously be cognizant of the positioning of the metal guard.

I use two versions of the plastic weedguard : the fiber "brush" style & the Y shaped plastic style -

Several members can custom make these style jigs for you ... I just happen to have Grousefly make mine. And he can & does make many other styles of weedless jigheads, like these :

Name:  50108_006.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  127.4 KB

... cp

CP, I almost never cast a jig when vertical jigging or "single poling". Do you think I could be moving the jig up and down in the water to be causing the line twist? Has anyone tried the rubber weed guard that goes from the collar to the tip of the hook?
    paddle faster i think i hear banjo music !!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast