Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat Question

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in an 18" bass boat and came from a 16' metal boat. My advice is to go with a big TM and the best batteries, you're going to use em. Good charger too. As good a trailer as you can find. All welded is a no brainer and don't worry about going too fast. I talked with a bass tourney guy who was gassing his Ranger, behind a suburban. Said he came out of a 20' express. He said the lack of weight was a big issue in big swells. Hit hard enough to leave him sore for a few days. Hence the Ranger. All the metal boat stuff were the shortcomings of the one I had, plus aging lower back issues.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Had a 2072 sea ark, a 2472 sea ark, and currently have a G3 1860. No problems with any of them other than stress tears on the 2472, that was my fault, too much outboard (175 faststrike that I had from a previous project). The 2072 is about the right size. The 1860 seems a little cramped with 2 people.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will find that most aluminum boats are likely to get you wet if you are running in rough conditions.
    Never had that happen in glass.
    Joe
    Likes feelay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I switched from glass to 19' lowe. Love it for crappie fishing. The glass was great for bass fishing. But I prefer the lowe for crappie fishing.
    The only thing better than a day of fishing.Is a week of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I run a 23' CC glass boat. No carpet, just hose it down. Drafts less than 16", shallow water and stumps are no problem. Never get wet, never too rough, wind doesn't blow me around. Fuel costs are high but well worth every penny. I'll never go back to aluminum.Name:  footballboat%20008.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  58.5 KB
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536
    Likes Bread man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking rig Feelay

Post Thanks / Like

I have 18 ft express aluminum and fish it anywhere anytime I want. Handles rough water well and has a dry ride. Yama 115 excellent on the gas pocket but like already stated about 42 mph best u can do. Only draw back on express is lack of storage

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I gotta Jon boat.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes tablesaw LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned several different boats over the years but two years ago I went from a Javelin bass boat to a 20' Triton mod-v aluminum rig with a 115hp 4-stroke Yamaha. On the positive side: I use a lot less fuel both towing the boat and on the water. The 4stroke is incredible efficient but I'm not buzzing down the lake at 65mph anymore either. The non-skid aluminum decks make cleanup at the end of the day as easy as staying it down-no more scrubbing catfish slime out of carpet. I find it easier to launch/recover by myself because I can beach the boat if the courtesy dock is full or if there isn't anywhere to tie off. I'm more confident going into stumpier water and below the local dams to fish without fear of damaging my gel coat. The wide front deck makes it easy for two people to spider rig from.

Negatives: it's been mentioned several times and I'll echo it...even a big mod-v isn't going to have the ride of a glass boat. The weight simply isn't there for the stability and you're gonna notice it on the water. Wakes from barges and overtaking other craft can toss you around enough for your lower back to notice and long rides on chop force me to take Advil after a day on the water. Even being a larger aluminum boat, my rig still has a lot of "bow jump" when crossing someone else's wake and pounds us on the way down. I've owned two aluminum deep v boats in the past and the handling characteristics in rough water just can't be compared. I have a Terrova on this boat and it seems like it has to work harder (cycling off/on more frequently) than my bass boat to maintain position using Spot Lock-which I attiribute to the lighter weight.

My next boat won't be a mod-v and won't be another glass boat. I'm going back to a deep-v hull for the windy days on KY Lake/Barkley and for the floor layout/seating.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I hated wiping that glitterglass down every time I pulled it out of the water ...

Now with aluminum I can loadit...strapit down...go eat fish (while the glitterboyz are still sitting on the ramp looking for their shammy cloths)...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast