Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Minnow buying question

Post Thanks / Like

when they start counting out minnows its a sign the shop wont be open much longer. lol there is a shop like that around here. bad words get around fast. you dont see many cars there anymore. unfortunately this is due to the old man growing ill, and the wife and kid squeezing every penny out of the buisness. i dont think he was in it for that specific reason, you know what i mean.

always look at what you get though! also voice your opinion, too, so they know they are ruining their shop. maybe they will change maybe not. running out because you didnt look=your fault. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkcrappie View Post
    I like a shop that will give me a decent count. I understand business, but I don't like my minners to be handled. Give away a few minners and folks are likely to buy hooks, weights, etc from your shop. Around here minners can be bought for $5/lb. That's 10 dozen roughly of a medium sized minnow. I just go get a pound when I need it.
    I need to proof read my posts! Around here minners can be bought for $15/lb or $1.89/dz. The lb is roughly 10 dozen of medium sized minnows.

Interesting to read all the different expectations of a bait shop. I hope some of the folks that own bait shops are reading all this. I think there's some good information in here.

How many of you folks buy "other" stuff in a bait shop? Jigs, hooks, sinkers, etc...?

Post Thanks / Like

I need to proof read my posts! Around here minners can be bought for $15/lb or $1.89/dz. The lb is roughly 10 dozen of medium sized minnows.

Interesting to read all the different expectations of a bait shop. I hope some of the folks that own bait shops are reading all this. I think there's some good information in here.

How many of you folks buy "other" stuff in a bait shop? Jigs, hooks, sinkers, etc...?
    I for one don't buy anything else from the baitshops, they would go broke depending on my business. Heck most of the time I pick up bait I aint even going fishing rite then but in the next day or two, carry home what I pick up and put them in a vat.
    I see it all the time with locals, we don't spend much but the folks that travel here do, they are who keeps our bait shops open here.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we had a bait shop close enough that I could buy minnows and keep them in a vat. There's only one shop in our town and it's in the back of a barber shop. The guy keeps minners from March through June. Go figure.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish we had a bait shop close enough that I could buy minnows and keep them in a vat. There's only one shop in our town and it's in the back of a barber shop. The guy keeps minners from March through June. Go figure.
    That's the way our Co-op here is and they don't open till 730, I am on the lake at daylite if I am going fishing so 730 don't work for me.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes arkcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's like any other seasonal business.........

1) the owners know they have a certain amount of time to make the majority of their money, so they tend to watch the nickles , dimes and quarters

2) The employees generally do not have the same concerns as the owners........ they come from a different perspective ( get you out quickly with no complaints )

It would bother me if I purchased 2 dozen minnows and walked out with 4 dozen..........Thats taking money out of the owners pocket who have a hard enough time competing with the big chain stores.............

Of coarse on the other hand I really don't want to wait in line to get bait and watch the person count out each minnow either! a few freebies are good or a few short ain't gonna kill me either..............

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys don't know how lucky you are.

Minnows here cost $3.75 dozen for medium and the shops count them one by one. The only place that sells them by the pound is 30 miles away, $15 lb.

And the only thing I buy other than minnows is an occasional drink or snack but not on every trip so they need to make their money on minnows from me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123