Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Lures

Post Thanks / Like

Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod and Reel Combo. This is the type rod I am using. Also I have 6lb test line on it. So that might be the reason I losing fish.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1410561009725.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  14.1 KB

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would check my line at the end the next time it breaks. If the end of the line is curled, this curl indicates a knot break, but not always. If I were a finesse person, I would set the drag at 2 pounds and use my nose finger to apply pressure to the spool if extra drag is needed. I rarely have big fish problems though. This, of course, is not by choice.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Greg_Mathis LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    I would check my line at the end the next time it breaks. If the end of the line is curled, this curl indicated a knot break. If I were a finesse person, I would set the drag at 2 pounds and use my nose finger to apply pressure to the spool if extra drag is needed. I rarely have big fish problems though. This, of course, is not by choice.
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

All I use is 2#test line. While I need to learn to back reel as Pappy does I only rely on drag and the flex of the rod. I mostly panfish but for about 6 weeks in the early spring I hit a small mouth hole that produces 2 to 6 pound fish of which on a good day I will catch 50. I don't lose fish from line breakage. It is just not an issue in open water. But I have great reels......quality line.....and use a palomor knot.....but any good not properly tied will suffice.

Regards
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My rod calls for 6-15 lb line. So what happen if I use 14 lb test line. Where I go have decent size fish and I don't wanna lose that big catch.

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Don't know what brand hooks Blakemore uses in their jigs.
    probably something made in China.

www.bobsjigs.com

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Mathis View Post
    Ugly Stik GX2 Spinning Rod and Reel Combo. This is the type rod I am using. Also I have 6lb test line on it. So that might be the reason I losing fish.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1410561009725.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  14.1 KB

That shouldn't be the "only" reason for losing fish. I used 4lb test mono for decades, not only for Crappie, but for Smallmouth as well. I'm now using 6lb test copoly (Vicious Panfish line) for most of my jig or minnow outfits. When casting Roadrunners or Whirly Bees ... I'm using PowerPro Braid (10lb test/2lb diameter) hi-vis. And I'm catching Crappie on it, as well as being able to pull either bait free from most snags. I don't use a leader, either ... I tie direct to the bait with the braid.

Using a good knot, tying it properly, & wetting it down before "slowly" cinching it down tight are all important factors ... regardless of the pound test of the line.
    Remember ... the line is the only important thing between you & the fish !! Use quality line, strong knots properly tied, and you'll likely lose less fish.

... cp
    Likes Greg_Mathis LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A little spit on a palomar knot goes a long way. It is all I use with a road runner and 8 lb line. I like a real light rod with RR and sharp hooks. Fish will load the rod and a mild sweep will bury the hook. Besides crappie I have boated white bass, hybrids, gills, kentuckys, lmb, flat head, blue cat, channel cat, sucker, sheepshead and gar this year. Gar being the only fish to throw a bait on the way to the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Mathis View Post
    So what happen if I use 14 lb test line. Where I go have decent size fish and I don't wanna lose that big catch.
    Landing fish is problem #2. Problem #1 is hooking fish. With small jig-type baits (like a Road Runner), you will hook more fish with lighter line. With lighter line:

1) You can cast farther

2) It's less visible to fish

3) Your bait sinks faster

4) Your bait acts more natural

I fish exclusively with jigs and always use 4# line. With a properly set drag (or by back reeling, if you prefer), you can easily land big fish on light line.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the way I look at loosing the "big one" is you gotta have something to blame. Darn line, darn pole, darn reel, darn etc.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast