Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do "glow" type lures really work?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, I was thinking I would only see a benefit during the night and hadn't really tried them all that much during the daylight, dawn or dusk hours. The times I had used them I was jigging docks in 4-15 feet of water in bright sunshine. Results weren't any different than other standard jigs.

Now this could be a coincidence....or not, but yesterday I was throwing a Bobby Garland Baby Shad in the "Outlaw Special" color on a 1/16 oz chartreuse jig head. I had forgotten it was a glow bait and chose it because we were also tossing pink jigs and some others that looked more like natural prey just to see what color was working. Fishing the dock under my boat at around 6 pm I must have easily caught 20 crappie. I had my daughter throw on a chartreuse tube and she wasn't getting many hits fishing just a couple of feet from me, yet I was still hauling them in. I figured I had the lucky spot but perhaps it was the dusk hours everyone mentioned and the fact the Outlaw Special color was a glow style bait. I am certainly going to try that color again this week to see what happens. Hmmmm, maybe we're onto something here.

Post Thanks / Like

Really guys, most of us fish in lakes that even on sunny days once you get 10 feet deep it's dark! I mean even in crystal clear lakes the colors drop out as they get deeper or farther away with Reds, Orange and yellow drop out first. The last standing color that can be see as it's color is Blue and Violet right with it. The distance for that is 40 feet in the crystal clear water. So using UV which extends color distance out to something like 750 feet and with Florescent colors also extend the distance so it's only natural that them seeing a glow jig in water 10 feet down or more is going to stand out! I gained all this from reading articles about UV colors and the impact they have on being seen.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes shipahoy41, snake River LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    Really guys, most of us fish in lakes that even on sunny days once you get 10 feet deep it's dark! I mean even in crystal clear lakes the colors drop out as they get deeper or farther away with Reds, Orange and yellow drop out first. The last standing color that can be see as it's color is Blue and Violet right with it. The distance for that is 40 feet in the crystal clear water. So using UV which extends color distance out to something like 750 feet and with Florescent colors also extend the distance so it's only natural that them seeing a glow jig in water 10 feet down or more is going to stand out! I gained all this from reading articles about UV colors and the impact they have on being seen.
    Skip, that is why I will be using these puppies once I get better. Fish use lateral lines to know bait is near and to hone it on it, but I think also that you can't eat what you can't see.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/diy-s...-dark-minnows/
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes skiptomylu LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That outlaw bgbs is an excellent color that I have a lot of confidence in

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    Skip, that is why I will be using these puppies once I get better. Fish use lateral lines to know bait is near and to hone it on it, but I think also that you can't eat what you can't see.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/diy-s...-dark-minnows/
    Well get well so we can see how well yo do with them. I know that I sure am interested! Good job Ship!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaCrappieMan View Post
    That outlaw bgbs is an excellent color that I have a lot of confidence in
    It sure is! Look what it got for me this past weekend. Mid day, bright sun, shallow water, close to shore, lots of boat traffic, etc....who said walleye are night predators?
    What is even more important to me is our state stocked these fish as fingerlings last year in our lake. I am very excited to see such a healthy adaptation of these fish in a lake most consider difficult to fish. I'll take a surprise walleye over 20 bluegill or crappie any day.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong, I like Walleye, and that one is looking good, but, it would take more than one to offset 20 crappie for me, just sayin.

Bobby McGaha
    3250 Harrison St. Ste. 300
    Batesville, AR 72501
    870-612-5300

Securities offered through First Allied Securities, Inc., A Registered Broker/Dealer. Member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory services offered through First Allied Advisory Services, Inc. A Registered Investment Adviser.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys I wanted to thank everyone for their posts regarding whether or not glow jigs or cranks work. Over the last 2 months I've been tearing the crappie up trolling cranks, but yesterday I took a friend of mine and we struggled catching any. We tried different speeds, depths, ect. So finally I told him we are going to change every crank to a different color and use some that I rarely use just to see if that will help the bite. Well I remembered this thread and it was very cloudy and we were fishing very stained water. So I found all of the glow cranks that I could and we started using them. The bite immediately picked up, now we didn't tear them up, only caught 20 for the day quitting about 2:30., when I had been doing 30 -40 fishing about the same amount of time. But, 18 of them came after we changed to the glow cranks. I didn't have enough for every pole so it was a fair comparison against the non-glow cranks after we made the changes nearly everyone of them were caught on the glow cranks. This post made the difference. Thanks again.

Bobby McGaha
    3250 Harrison St. Ste. 300
    Batesville, AR 72501
    870-612-5300

Securities offered through First Allied Securities, Inc., A Registered Broker/Dealer. Member FINRA/SIPC. Advisory services offered through First Allied Advisory Services, Inc. A Registered Investment Adviser.

Post Thanks / Like

Bought some glow jig heads from Cabelas and they seem to work real good early in the a.m. or on real cloudy winter days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigEdCT View Post
    I have tried some but haven't seen a noticeable difference in catch rates. I'll admit I haven't really fished them during the middle of the night, but have gone up to 10pm or so without being impressed. There are times when I fish them during the day and they actually produce less fish than other color jigs. I'm just curious what everyone elses experiences have been with any type of "glow" jig, lure, etc.?
    They catch a LOT of fishermen. No real advantage. Trust me, I've been at this for 60 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim Porter

'A dry jig catches darn FEW crappie!!'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast