Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greers Ferry Lake Nursery Pond Finglerling Protection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creekslick View Post
    Looks good. You think you could dump several loads in the mouth of Middle Fork. Might detour some of the water lice.
    I wish we could Wayne. The Corps are pretty particular about how brush piles are put out. They don't want us to create a navigation hazard. It is a little different for this situation. The trees are in the back of this cove and the only people going back there are anglers with their trolling motors.
    Matt Schroeder - AGFC - (877)470-3309 - [email protected]
    Likes jackie53 LIKED above post

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D10 View Post
    I wish we could Wayne. The Corps are pretty particular about how brush piles are put out. They don't want us to create a navigation hazard. It is a little different for this situation. The trees are in the back of this cove and the only people going back there are anglers with their trolling motors.
    And Jet Skies!! They see ya back their in daylite hours from 12:00 till 5:00 pm they have someone to watch them!! Cannot ski where no one is around!!! They need an audience!!! Its their lake too!! Need to learn to share

Thanks D-10 for all the work!!! The cover all up and down the lake(Greers)works great for crappie,bass walleye,bream and big flatheads!!When the hybrids move in game over!! We like the ones around sandy beach (heber Rec area) don't get fished much espically now (ski season) Thanks again!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

that makes me tear up.

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody's sure got some cute boxers! Thanks for all the hard work Matt and gang.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod98 View Post
    Somebody's sure got some cute boxers! Thanks for all the hard work Matt and gang.
    Yeah that's my summer intern. I gave him a hard time all day! I'm glad someone caught that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your hard work and dedication. This detour should work quite well I'd think for the fry. I imagine that when you release these little ones that the big guys think your serving dinner!

Regards,

Le

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

How big are the Crappie when released ? Would it be possiable to raise them bigger like they do those Trout ?
    What about placing a net barrier across the cove mouth to let the Crappie leave slowly and keep predators out ? The entrence to the nuclear plant has a Shad barrier net at Dardanelle Lake.
    Maybe try dispersing fingerlings the way the Bass guys do it. Just hand out bags of fry and have them released all over the lake.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

CA I'm not sure but I don't think they stock crappie very often mostly bass and walleye.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    How big are the Crappie when released ? Would it be possiable to raise them bigger like they do those Trout ?
    What about placing a net barrier across the cove mouth to let the Crappie leave slowly and keep predators out ? The entrence to the nuclear plant has a Shad barrier net at Dardanelle Lake.
    Maybe try dispersing fingerlings the way the Bass guys do it. Just hand out bags of fry and have them released all over the lake.
    Crappie are about 2-3 inches long when they are stocked. Domesticated Trout are feed trained and therefore can be kept on the hatchery for an extended period of time. Crappie eat zooplankton when they are really small then switch to fish. It is too expensive to raise game fish when feeding them bait fish.

We have talked about using an old block off net to keep predators out of the cove when we release our NP crop. We will see how the added trees work this spring. We may end up using a block off net.

Crappie fingerlings are one of the most fragile fish to handle (behind young trout). The extra handling needed to bag up crappie would create to much mortality in the crop. Also we have no way to harvest fish directly out of the pond. It is too deep to seine the fish out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creekslick View Post
    CA I'm not sure but I don't think they stock crappie very often mostly bass and walleye.
    You are correct. We have not stocked crappie in Greers in a really long time. To be honest I think stocking fish from the nursery pond is just a drop in the bucket compared to what the lake is producing. The nursery pond was instrumental to getting the population to what they are now. I'm not so sure they have as great of an impact today. We plan to evaluate the stocking contribution of our nursery pond in the near future. With that said, we may move crappie into the production rotation after my boss retires.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast