Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think about braided lines for crappie fishing?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIN View Post
    What do you do about wind knots?
    FIN
    Don't wrist snap cast !! Make your casts with a more fluid motion. That worked for me.

I did have a few instances of "wind knots" when I first started casting jigs on braid (PP 10/2) ... but, since I stopped using the fast motion of a wrist snap, I have not experienced the problem.

Recently, I started putting a small splitshot sinker about 8" up the line. Now, instead of "seeing" the line jump when a fish hits, I feel a serious "thump" !!

And yes ... PowerPro does fade after awhile, but is still quite visible. And even though I tie my jig directly to the braid, I still get Crappie to bite it !!

... cp
    Likes Eaglehorse LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Fins wind tamer braid helps on the wind knots.

Post Thanks / Like

FIN
    Actually for last season and this season so far, I've only had it happen twice. It may be unusual, so maybe I've been lucky. Mostly for shooting I use a 1/8th oz. Roadrunner head with a 2" Go Go Minnow. I superglue the minnow to the jig head because fish like to try and pull the minnows off. It doesn't take a lot to put it under the dock far enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Power Pro Hi-Vis 15lb braid which is 4 lb equivalent. Use it to dislodge my hung hooks without breaking line. Can feel the slightest bump too! I have used for dock shooting, bobber fishing, vertical jigging, casting and anything else you can think of and it lasts!! I do use 6 lb mono on two of my jigging rods for more sensitivity.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered enough 20/6 spiderwire glow-vis to outfit my longline spinning rods for trolling cranks. I've suffered a left wrist injury and can't handle a rod with my left hand required for my baitcasters right now. I have small spinning reels and needed a higher lb test line for cranks so I didn't really have a choice at this point. We'll see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by That'sABingo View Post
    i have noticed that crappie and even bluegills hit lures/bait with monofilament more than braid. i had one pole with 4lb mono and one with 10lb braid (diameter of 2lb mono) and the one with mono outfished braid about 3-1. could have been a fluke but im sticking with mono.
    I use a small ball Bering swivel then about 3 ft or mono leader. Best of both

Post Thanks / Like

FIN
    After putting any line on a spinning reel i free spool 90% of the line out with out tying and lure or weight on it. I pull it behind the boat at low speed about 5mph for a minute or 2. Then reel it in. This removes any twist in the line. I have 20# power pro on my spinning reels going on 2 years and not a wind knot yet. I prefer braid over mono. I found the braid does get better the more its used. With mono on my spinning reels I get wind knots every other trip. When I do I just do the free spool trick again and am good for a few more fishing trips. I use it on bait casters and spinning reels. On spin casts I use mono. I also free spool a spin cast reel. It helps to spool it out every few trips also to remove line twists. I have heard braid doesnt do well on a bait caster.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious about why you folks use such a heavy pound test braid? I've caught 5 lb. smallies on my 4# test Fireline rig, with never a loss due to line failure. Caught an 8 lb. Northern on the same rig several years ago. You have to admit, that casting with a 4# braid is much better (for distance) than 10# braid in any case. I use a 4' leader of 4# test XL put on the main line with an Alberto knot. Have used this set-up for many years with no problems.

Just ordered a SHSS 9' rod & matching Pflueger President. Going to be filling it with 2# Fireline to try out! First time with this light a braid. (I did try 2# Nanofil, which was a total disaster.) Should be an interesting experiment. I'll let you know how it turns out. I have several spool of 2# test XL which I know works just fine for casting light jigs.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Two words... straightening hooks.
    Likes dfar LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Suffix 832 HI-VIS yellow in 6LB dia (20 # test) is all I use for long line trolling, spider rigging and pulling crankbaits. Only draw back is the knot tying, I haven't mastered a consistent knot that doesn't slip on occasion. But the line is well work the cost and the occasionally knot slip.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast