Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deep Fryer Opinions

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen the Cajun cookers and they are one fine cooker if you are cooking for a small army. Had a fry daddy for a long time, in fact still have one in the closet. The reason I like the t- fal is when you get done just leave it set and when the oil cools enough it drains and strains itself and stores it in a plastic container so you don't have any fish smell after your done. It comes in 2 sizes and the little one would be fine for 2 people, it has a smaller element for heating and uses less grease. They say you can get 15 times on your grease with them, I just add a little as needed. you can also buy a extra tank and could use different oil is you were wanting to cook chicken or something on in the fish grease.
    Likes H2O LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clfarms1 View Post
    I have seen the Cajun cookers and they are one fine cooker if you are cooking for a small army. Had a fry daddy for a long time, in fact still have one in the closet. The reason I like the t- fal is when you get done just leave it set and when the oil cools enough it drains and strains itself and stores it in a plastic container so you don't have any fish smell after your done. It comes in 2 sizes and the little one would be fine for 2 people, it has a smaller element for heating and uses less grease. They say you can get 15 times on your grease with them, I just add a little as needed. you can also buy a extra tank and could use different oil is you were wanting to cook chicken or something on in the fish grease.
    Is the one you have the 3.3L model?

Looking like I am going to go that route.

Post Thanks / Like

DeLonghi makes very good fryers. I have had mine for about twelve years and I love it. You can close the lid before putting fish in oil so are no splatters. Very easy to clean. Has a tube that allows you to remove oil for cleaning. The outside of the fryer does not get hot to the touch either. The model I have sells for $79.95.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello: A fry daddy is what I use. I have two of them. I cut the fish in thinner pieces. after preheating I load one up and then load the second one. Remove the fish from the first one reload it and the second one is usually ready to remove. You can cook fish without stopping. Just don't overload it so the grease stays hot. It may take some trial and error to get it right. I have cooked fish for 20 people doing this. I used to use a 6 quart dutch cast iron oven but the fry daddy's are easier to use and don't waste as much grease. Good Luck this season. O - R

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiehoarder View Post
    I use a fry grandaddy. It works for me and I usually just let it cool off,leave the oil in it and put in the cabinet for next time. I will get three or four cookings from one gallon of oil.
    I have to give another vote for the grandaddy. The wife found one that was new, never used at a yard sale for $5. One of the best finds ever. Works great and does the fries pretty quick too. I used to use an electric skillet with high sides that also did a good job, and it was a hand me down from my Mom. The thermostat it has lets you keep track of how hot the oil is. Thin filets won't overcook so fast if you turn it down a few degrees.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ifish View Post
    x2!
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

we have both types and the ele. fry-daddy works great for 2-3 folks .the big cooker we use for large numbers to serve all at the same time .

Post Thanks / Like

I still vote for the cajun fryer. It's easy to get the temp. just right (I use a harbor freight infra-red thermometer) and keep it just right. With the little electrics it's really easy for the temp. to drop, especially after a load of fries, an if you're not careful you'll get soggy fish. I hate soggy fish and would just as well not eat 'em. The cajun fryer does require more oil, but you can probably use it 30 times without a problem. It's also very easy to clean and filter out your meal from the oil. The meal won't be burnt, either, like it will in an electric. I welded up my own version of the cajun cooker and use it regularly. Mine takes about 6 gallons of oil but I think it's worth it for ease of cooking. I cook regularly for my family and friends. Once you get one you'll want to invite friends over just to have an excuse to use it. It makes cooking fish enjoyable. I'll bet I've cooked 300 lbs. of fish on that thing in less than a year.
    Either way, keep your hooks sharp and your grease hot!
    JBJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by H2O View Post
    Is the one you have the 3.3L model?

Looking like I am going to go that route.
    yes I have the 3.3

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 4 gal Cajun Fryer's 1 at home and 1 at the lake. They also make a smaller unit that has only one basket.
    The way they are made I can use the same oil all season long.
    I had a fry daddy years ago but the oil didnt last long because all the pieces of the batter would lay on the bottom and burn so you just tossed the oil after each usage.
    Back in the 80's my room mate fried french fries in the fry daddy every night. One night he fried up a batch scooped them out onto his plate and there was a black gob of somthing.
    I was looking at it and noticed the little feet he had french fryed a mouse. Now that was somthing. I like the lid on my cajun fryer!
    Corn Field Crappie Gear
    Member Podunk Ideas Pro Team

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast