Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for crankers using braid

Post Thanks / Like

What about a 4-6lb leader of Flouro? Sensitivity still there yet you can break it off

Post Thanks / Like

I know each person has a preferance of line and this may cause some debate, but the true experts will tell you that for trolling mono is the line you need to use for crankbaits. Let the boat do the work of setting the hook and allow the stretch of the mono to keep the hooks in the mouth and not jerk the lips off like you can get with braid. DO NOT SET THE HOOK, it's already done and just have a nice steady retrieve. Don't over think your equipment, I have been watching for years how the walleye guys on Lake Erie use 12 lbs. test mono with in-line planer boards or off a mast while trolling and catching 6, 8 or even 12 lbs. walleyes without any issues.

The only time braid for is used for trolling is if your using bottom bouncers or dipsy divers but the rods used are generally 8'6" to 10' with very soft tips. the rod is the shock absorber for the braid. The braid should only be connected to the dipsey or bottom bouncer with a duel lock snap and a floracabron leader from the device to the lure.

Now, to each his own for what they use on there boat but remember for crappie unless you are jigging, braid is over kill for trolling. Remember you can buy a spool of 3000 yard mono at $35 to $50 to fill all your reels compared to 2 spools of 125 yard braid and a spool of mono for backing to do 2 reels at the same price. If loosing a $5 bandit to a snag is a concern ask yourself how much you want to spend on new rods or replace a stripped reel when the braid doesn't break free.
    Likes Yodibuzz LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

6 lb diameter power pro but I push with 3 oz weights . Keep drag loose and haven't broke a tip yet. I have a couple eagle claw starfires that I run mono on because they are stiff and the braid has no stretch and I was missing alot of fish, you would see your tip bounce but no fish, went to mono on those poles and solved that problem. Lost less than 1/2 dozen cranks last year and trolled a several miles.

Post Thanks / Like

here is an idea if you have your cranks out and lets say they are running at 12 feet deep and you are trolling over 16 feet of water, follow the contour on your depth finder. or if you get on a high ledge that lets say gets 8 foot or shallower. then stop reel in some of your line to get the baits running at 6 feet deep..... I ususally set my cranks to a certain depth for the location I am in. then if i move locations with a different depth I adjust at my cranks also. maybe you can share where this ledge is, with all the stumps and good stuff. I fish on ky lake also
    "In fishing it is not how big the worm is, its how much it can wiggle"

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hatchieman View Post
    maybe you can share where this ledge is, with all the stumps and good stuff. I fish on ky lake also
    I have shared this area with a couple of folks who decided to share it with the world. Now I keep such areas to myself and a very few tight-lipped friends.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes chaunc, Wiskers LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    I have shared this area with a couple of folks who decided to share it with the world. Now I keep such areas to myself and a very few tight-lipped friends.
    I'm also a firm believer that if you dont want a lot of company on your spots, dont post them for the world to see. If you post it, they will come.
    Likes M R Dux, wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

never have ripped a lip on a fish with braid and u dont have to set the hook trolling cranks when running 2mph.when pulling cranks wwe are using light duty deep sea fishing reels to u dont have to worry about them either,and have never broke a pole either and i use 30 lb braid.the whole reason for the braid where i fish is their is stuff everywhere in the lake and if your getting hung up your probally where the fish are at,not worth $50 or more in lost cranks a day to use mono.if i fished a lake without much contours ofr stuff to get hung on i would use mono,thats what i started with in the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Large6er View Post
    I know each person has a preferance of line and this may cause some debate, but the true experts will tell you that for trolling mono is the line you need to use for crankbaits. Let the boat do the work of setting the hook and allow the stretch of the mono to keep the hooks in the mouth and not jerk the lips off like you can get with braid. DO NOT SET THE HOOK, it's already done and just have a nice steady retrieve. Don't over think your equipment, I have been watching for years how the walleye guys on Lake Erie use 12 lbs. test mono with in-line planer boards or off a mast while trolling and catching 6, 8 or even 12 lbs. walleyes without any issues.

The only time braid for is used for trolling is if your using bottom bouncers or dipsy divers but the rods used are generally 8'6" to 10' with very soft tips. the rod is the shock absorber for the braid. The braid should only be connected to the dipsey or bottom bouncer with a duel lock snap and a floracabron leader from the device to the lure.

Now, to each his own for what they use on there boat but remember for crappie unless you are jigging, braid is over kill for trolling. Remember you can buy a spool of 3000 yard mono at $35 to $50 to fill all your reels compared to 2 spools of 125 yard braid and a spool of mono for backing to do 2 reels at the same price. If loosing a $5 bandit to a snag is a concern ask yourself how much you want to spend on new rods or replace a stripped reel when the braid doesn't break free.

Post Thanks / Like

i had the same problem when i went to braid,changed out all the hooks and it solved the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

same here,if your catching fish everyone wants to know how and where at,lol.i just want to know how u catch them all summer long,i usually do good all june and come july i cant do much good pulling cranks.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaunc View Post
    I'm also a firm believer that if you dont want a lot of company on your spots, dont post them for the world to see. If you post it, they will come.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    i usually do good all june and come july i cant do much good pulling cranks.
    You find the bait balls, you usually find the Crappie close by, if not right alongside them ... at least that's the way it seems to work around here. Pay attention to the thermocline, and any incoming (cooler) water. Either that or shoot the docks during the day

... cp
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast