Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening filet knife

Post Thanks / Like

where do you get the sharper??

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I didn't realize how lucky I have been. Have cleaned hundreds of fish with my electric, with no problems, zips right through them. I hadn't considered there being such a difference in blades. I'll check and see what brand it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Chef's Choice is the best sharpener I've ever used. You can get them from a $25 manual up to to $200 electric.

For those of you with electric knives, I found the blades for the Mister Twister and another brand on clearance sale at Walmart last night. Might want to check your local store.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a very old Rapala fillet knife and it never has seen a stone, only a steel before, during, and after each cleaning session. A steel will keep the knife razor sharp.

Post Thanks / Like

They make a round diamond sharpener that works great from the front side. And the blades ant dull you need to clean the meat or watever out from between them. I have a set that I have had for 18 years. Wouldnt be afraid to say they have cleaned 15000 fish, yes 15000 maybe more.
    Cabelas, Crappie Magnet, Jenko Fishing, Cumberland Crappie , Slabanator Jigs, and Pure Crappie Tackle.
    Timscatchingcrappie.com

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rada Sharpner.

http://www.radacutlery.com/best/kitc...nife-sharpener

I run all my knives thru it before I use them and again after I use them. The reason I run them before I use them is the wife uses knives for screw drivers and hammers. The reason I run them thru after is so that the next person will have a perfectly sharp knife without doing anything. Once knives are sharp, it only takes a couple of passes to bring them back if you do it each time you use them. After using the Rada sharpener for a while you can actually tell by the feel of the knife coming between the roller cutters when the knife has been sharpened enough. I also never put a knife in the sink or in the dishwasher. I use it, I clean it, I run it thru the Rada, I wipe it off and put in the the knife block.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes Don G LIKED above post

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

PawPaw, you can't beat RADA....Made in the USA
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

just ordered two Radas..

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on about 1000 fish with my one set of american angler shark blades. Still sharp enough to go right through a carcass when I slip up.

For sharpening regular blades, spyderco sharpmaker will get them sharp enough to shave with.. even for a beginner.

Steels are for HONING not sharpening. You sharpen a knife once, then hone it for months. You should only need to sharpen a fillet knife once per 200 fish or so, hone after every 10 fish.

Post Thanks / Like

that's all pretty specific..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin22 View Post
    I'm on about 1000 fish with my one set of american angler shark blades. Still sharp enough to go right through a carcass when I slip up.

For sharpening regular blades, spyderco sharpmaker will get them sharp enough to shave with.. even for a beginner.

Steels are for HONING not sharpening. You sharpen a knife once, then hone it for months. You should only need to sharpen a fillet knife once per 200 fish or so, hone after every 10 fish.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast