Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fishing with planer boards

Post Thanks / Like

How slow can you pull the mini boards thinking about trying mini and long line jig from .5 to 1 mph

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smokercraft View Post
    How slow can you pull the mini boards thinking about trying mini and long line jig from .5 to 1 mph
    You need to be faster than .5 to get them to run out the side. I am thinking closer to 1mph. Ran these and they did not work at the slower speeds.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

we have used the crappie shark planer boards for 5 or 6 years, they are our main trolling technique now. they get the bait out to the sides of the boat and in the shallower water they dont seem to spook the fish at all. we only use grubs and such, no crankbaits, even though i think they would work fine.i like it because you can run at any depth you would like without having to change trolling motor speed, but have found 0.8 to 1.1 the best speed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smokercraft View Post
    I dont have much experience much slower than 1mph...... Any planer board trolling I do is usually 1 to 1.8 mph or a little faster....they flare out well at 1mph...... much slower than .8mph i dont know

Post Thanks / Like

there are clips that won't let board come off. we troll big boards less than 1mph and in 10 feet of water depends on the lure. small boards do not have flags
    Likes Tommy Skarlis LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sailfish1 View Post
    we have used the crappie shark planer boards for 5 or 6 years, they are our main trolling technique now. they get the bait out to the sides of the boat and in the shallower water they dont seem to spook the fish at all. we only use grubs and such, no crankbaits, even though i think they would work fine.i like it because you can run at any depth you would like without having to change trolling motor speed, but have found 0.8 to 1.1 the best speed
    How are you controlling how deep your grubs are running? Is is still by how much line you let out?

Post Thanks / Like

Just found this post - Love using planer boards for crappies - In fact - my partner Kyle Steinfeldt and I were blessed enough to win the 2013 Crappie Masters Championship with Off Shore's. We were actually using the big Off Shores (OR-12's) with the tatlle flags. Somebody asked about slow speeds - that was one of the keys for us - .8 - 1mph. Over the years we have caught a lot of crappies on boards and slower seems to be better most times. As far as cranks are concerned - depth is determined by line diameter and amount of line used - best to reference precision trolling data - they have dive curves and phone apps that tell you how much line to let out.

When it comes to grubs and jigs - until the data comes out - it is best to let out numerous rods with varying lengths of line and let the fish tell you what they want.

Using the proper length and action of rod - even with planer boards affixed - is vitally important. When we won the "ship" we were using St. Croix's ECT80MM2 - 8 foot trolling rods specifically designed for use with planer boards. Your 16 foot rods will be excellent for long lining flat off of the boat in conjunction with planer boards (but I would not recommend affixing a planer board to them.)

One thing that has always helped me with trolling is to "harvest" like a combine instead of a two row picker!
    Take a senior or a kid fishing soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks For the info Tommy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Skarlis View Post
    Just found this post - Love using planer boards for crappies - In fact - my partner Kyle Steinfeldt and I were blessed enough to win the 2013 Crappie Masters Championship with Off Shore's. We were actually using the big Off Shores (OR-12's) with the tatlle flags. Somebody asked about slow speeds - that was one of the keys for us - .8 - 1mph. Over the years we have caught a lot of crappies on boards and slower seems to be better most times. As far as cranks are concerned - depth is determined by line diameter and amount of line used - best to reference precision trolling data - they have dive curves and phone apps that tell you how much line to let out.

When it comes to grubs and jigs - until the data comes out - it is best to let out numerous rods with varying lengths of line and let the fish tell you what they want.

Using the proper length and action of rod - even with planer boards affixed - is vitally important. When we won the "ship" we were using St. Croix's ECT80MM2 - 8 foot trolling rods specifically designed for use with planer boards. Your 16 foot rods will be excellent for long lining flat off of the boat in conjunction with planer boards (but I would not recommend affixing a planer board to them.)

One thing that has always helped me with trolling is to "harvest" like a combine instead of a two row picker!
    Thank you very much for the information and congratulaions on winnning the Crappie Masters Championship! This is where I first saw this technique and became very interested. My partner and I go to Grenada/Sardis/Enid often and we were wanting to give this a try. Our local lake is not well suited for this technique, as it is set up more like a river(very narrow) with a lot of boat traffic. But we would like to give it a try and experiment with it on the bigger lakes. Again, I appreciate the info!

Post Thanks / Like

thenson, yes, the depth is determined by how much line you let out behind the boards, you adjust to whether you run single or double jigs simply by sliding up and down the line, congrats tommy on the big win

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast