Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fishing with planer boards

Post Thanks / Like

I make my leaders just long enough to keep the board from hitting the fish......to me its easier to land em with the board closer to the fish.......seems like i shook alot of and lost em at the boat with a longer leader........shorter leader &the board will also pull the crappie to the top and sorta ski him in........honestly my leaders are 12inches or so......just long enough to keep the board from crashing into the fish.......you could prob add a 2nd clip with a split ring and a release on the rear peg.....but ive never tried it, just always used em as is

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    I run the Offshore boards with both clips. Mainly due to the fact I don't have to fool with a swivel, bead and leader before the bait. I'm going to try the boards you mentioned and just ordered 4 of the boards from Franksgreatoutdoors. They are on sale for $13.99 each! How long a leader do you prefer ahead of the bait to stop the board?

Post Thanks / Like

I add the second clip to my offshore boards so you just reel the board in then just fight the fish. Also if you need to get crank baits down deeper just add 1/2 -2 oz.of weight 20-50' ahead of lure with same clips that you use on planner boards.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible for both clips to come off and lose the board?

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

How shallow of water can you fish with these boards and do they only work for fishing with crank baits?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Is it possible for both clips to come off and lose the board?
    Yep has happened with my boards I use at Erie Wally fishing...... They float though

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thenson View Post
    How shallow of water can you fish with these boards and do they only work for fishing with crank baits?
    How shallow of water you can troll depends on your lure and how deep it runs honestly....... We use a lot of different lures at Erie behind boards..... You could pull jigs or what ever u want..... I only use em cranking though..... Planers work better with the speeds I pull cranks at......have a good spread of rods 16ft down to 6 ft for pulling jigs..... Rods that handle cranks I'm a little more limited on..... Hence the planer boards

Post Thanks / Like

That makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for taking time to answer these questions and share your knowledge on this topic. One last question from me; is there any way to set the depth you are fishing or is that only determined by the speed and length of line let out?

Post Thanks / Like

do the smaller boards have tatletail flags,or can u tell when a small fish is on

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thenson View Post
    That makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for taking time to answer these questions and share your knowledge on this topic. One last question from me; is there any way to set the depth you are fishing or is that only determined by the speed and length of line let out?
    Depth is mostly determined by amount of line out with speed playing a smaller factor depending on what lure your using..... Line out behind the board is your biggest key as far as depth.... line out to the board only affects how far the board will run away from the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    do the smaller boards have tatletail flags,or can u tell when a small fish is on
    Haven't looked , the ones I use ( posted in earlier post ) will show smaller fish.... Have even had big ones pull the boards under.....usually though it'll look like your board is swimming backwards away from the direction your going.....haven't seen a need for flags on the mini boards for crappie.....

Likes blueball LIKED above post

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast