Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rivets...gotta' love 'em!

kycreek is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not weld it? A good welder could tig up a couple of rivets in no time & you would be done with it.
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to do it yourself, there are metal epoxy putties out there. They come in a stick and you cut off what you need, then knead the two parts together. Use a wire wheel in a drill or Dremel tool to remove the paint around and on top of the rivet as well as rough up the aluminum. Press a small ball of the epoxy into the rivet and smooth it out with your fingers. If you wet your finger tips with a little water, you can blend the epoxy into a smooth repair.

As suggested by another, 5200 will work but is a lot more messy to deal with and takes a while to cure. It also requires moisture to fully cure and in dry, cold conditions that can take a while since there is little humidity in the air.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kycreekboy View Post
    Why not weld it? A good welder could tig up a couple of rivets in no time & you would be done with it.
    Exactly
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Bridgeholder1 LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kycreekboy View Post
    NO DOUBT THE BEST OPTION . ONLY PROBLEM THEN IS YOU WILL HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT .

Post Thanks / Like

There are all kind of good Marine grade two part epoxy patching compounds out there. I think the last I used was called Marine Weld. It mixed to a gray putty like product. Always worked from outside of the boat. Clean around the rivet and rough it up with some fine sand paper. When it hardens you can not get it off. It is sandable and paintable. But if it is on the bottom of the boat it does not have to be a thing of beauty. I have fixed up some real old clunkers in the past this way including holes. Luckily I now have a ten year old Lund that is as tight as the day it was built, they sure make a great boat!!!!

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Marine Tex,,,check it out,,,works fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

im thinking it cant be fixed and will require a new boat. sound like the best solution to me

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Several very good options so far. As to welding, it takes a good welder to work the sheet metal. I've seen one attempted and abandoned after the welder blew holes in the hull. the blind rivets get my vote, but I really favor doing the work to buck new rivets into place. Just my opinion. Then you get new carpet to slime up too.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I go for the blind rivets also. Because just welding the rivet will not tighten the seam that loosened because of the loose rivet. I would blind rivet it using sealant on the rivets then check it for leaks. Then I would use one of the sealant mentioned to seal the seam if it leaked. Just my humble opinion based on limited experience.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Blind rivets with 3M 5200 sealant.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes BoarBuster LIKED above post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast