Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: long line two jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sliderman View Post
    What is your preferred method of tying the upper jig on this set-up? ....
    Palomar knot with extra long tag end (which becomes the leader for the lower jig).
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by High Bridge Hooker View Post
    It is also a good way to fish 2 depths at the same time.
    When your longlining your not fishing 2 depths at the same time, the difference In depth between the two is very small. Longlining gives a horizontal presentation with lines behind the boat, not vertical like jigging and tightlining. The reason for using 2 baits isn't to cover 2 different depths, it's to have out more colors, and more hooks in the water which increases your chance of a hookup. I think the first bait may draw attention and when they check it out the 2nd bait flys by and BAM!!!
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Young Gun View Post
    When your longlining your not fishing 2 depths at the same time, the difference In depth between the two is very small. Longlining gives a horizontal presentation with lines behind the boat, not vertical like jigging and tightlining. The reason for using 2 baits isn't to cover 2 different depths, it's to have out more colors, and more hooks in the water which increases your chance of a hookup. I think the first bait may draw attention and when they check it out the 2nd bait flys by and BAM!!!
    I was going to say the same thing after reading the replies!
    Likes T.C. LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Palomar knot with extra long tag end (which becomes the leader for the lower jig).
    Bfish, have you ever tried a loop knot for the top bait? It works much better. With a loop knot the bait will seperate from the main line and allow the fish to suck the bait down without bumping into the main line, feeling it, and spitting out the bait. Just a suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

I fish the ohio river a lot and we use sibiki rigs for bait fishing. the crappie tend to like them too. these are 6 pre tied flies on a five foot or so leader. I have used these fly rigs on other waters with good results. I just cut them down to whatever legal hook limit is.

Post Thanks / Like

they are less than $3 a pack and if you cut them to two hooks you get three rigs for the price of one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Young Gun View Post
    Bfish, have you ever tried a loop knot for the top bait? ...
    Yes I have. I mostly am using flourocarbon leader (with braid mainline), so I don't like the loop knot. If I were using mono/copoly, I agree with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have. I mostly am using flourocarbon leader (with braid mainline), so I don't like the loop knot. If I were using mono/copoly, I agree with you.
    Explain??? Are you doing this for clear water? Why the braid? Both these type lines sink and have little stretch. I like stretch for longlining pulling in paper mouths, but if it is for clear water, deep water or combination of the two. Then I am curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Well tried two 1/32 on half my poles and just one 1/16 on the others. Two 1/32 seemed to drop a whole lot deeper and were a pain when turning, drop to fast. Gonna take some getting use to, plus with me it's hard to change and old dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also curious of this method. It shouldn't matter what type line you use, a loop knot to me works better. If you tie the top jig directly to the main line they can't suck it in as easy, and they feel the pressure from the main line going directly to the rod.....imagine trying to fit a chicken nugget in your mouth with a string running through the middle and hanging out of both ends.....you cant get it in your mouth without feeling the string, you would want to spit it out. If only one end has a string you can pretty much eat the entire thing before feeling the string.......just my thinking on the matter. This is what the loop knot does.......
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast