Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: what is the absolute best cover to drop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post
    Anyone have any info on using hedge limbs (Osage) in stake buckets? I know it tough as heck and lots of it around....just seems like it would last a very long time. Lots of that and honey locus around here....
    I read IN-Fisherman critical concepts 2 Crappie Locations. The book is not worth the $ but something to read in the winter. I was amazed when Osage Orange was suggested to make fish locators mainly because how long they last. Being an old farm boy I cut many a hedge posts and even used the extra logs in the fireplace a little at time for a hot burn. I never considered them as a fish attractor but then again I am new to crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as THE longest lasting natural cover locally, if anything lasts longer, I honestly DO NOT know what it is...even in VERY fertile water like a swamp, it will out last EVERYTHING else...it averages 20+ YEARS...it is tough to cut and put together, but it is THE `gold standard` of natural materials.
    Likes peepaw LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knot2Bad View Post
    Didn't give a thesis just ask a question. Short answer - A structure that is a min. of 4-5X taller than its base with lots of cover for bait fish. The taller the better. Base needs to be big enough to anchor and support the structures ensuring it remains upright. I would not use non biodegradable materials. This means you will need to reestablish these over time as they will loose there effectiveness. Cheers
    Natural brush materials add to the nutrient load in the water as they decompose and remove oxygen. Plastics like rock and large hardwoods, add more INERT surface area to grow periphyton/algae...fish food.

Plastics like rock, improve water quality, years of studies prove this.

A mixture of rock sand, weeds wood logs, artificial and shade should all be present for a balanced fishery.

artificial materials absorb and hold heat differently than natural wood.

All habitat helps the fish. Do the work and make your own conclusions.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

All of our products are Made in the USA with all American made materials.
    Artificial fish habitat,crappie attractors and bass structure made from PVC.
    Numerous models of various sizes,textures and shapes for fry to lunkers.
    Mention Crappie.com with your order for 10% off!!
    Fishiding.com Structurespot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Other than barrels of toxic waste, almost ANYTHING beats "nothing" assuming there is no natural cover...by the same token, a literal few cunningly placed naturals with even a SINGLE PVC attractor slightly deeper can make a formerly so- so spot into at least seasonally red HOT fish factory of several different species !
    Likes peepaw LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post
    I would like to do this also but it seems like it would take many many trips. Pallets for me are easy to get but i need the lake here freeze over hard enough drag brush out and then let the thaw drop them. But by then everyone would see it. Soft wood pallets I doubt would last long
    We use hardwood pallets
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peepaw View Post
    Natural brush materials add to the nutrient load in the water as they decompose and remove oxygen. Plastics like rock and large hardwoods, add more INERT surface area to grow periphyton/algae...fish food.

A mixture of rock sand, weeds wood logs, artificial and shade should all be present for a balanced fishery.

I can see they don't add anything to the water but how could they improve water quality ?
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled up an old post made of pipe , buckets and rocks all free materials here.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/showt...pipe-and-rocks
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Hey nimble post pulled up but no pic for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbowhunter View Post
    Hey nimble post pulled up but no pic for me
    Posts still has 2 photos or it did for me just now ? You must click the link to the old post!
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peepaw View Post

Listen, I agree that any cover is good....and I know you guys are selling a product and service. But it doesn't help when mis-information is presented as fact! And I understand you can have 2 sides to every story, but these guys are not killing their local waters by adding 'boo or other brushy cover. Every year in almost every system, vegetation dies and uses up oxygen...fish just move away until they find oxygen PPM's suitable for their needs....more nutrients are put into the water system every day by run-off, lawn fertilizer, leaves, etc that a few decomposing brush blocks. Most of the soft or fruit wood is eaten by various lifeforms, you also have forms of algae that like plants, give off Oxygen! Every study has 2 sides, I can tout natural wood is better, you can tout PVC is better, neither is wrong, they both have benefits...the main point is to consider if you want to replace natural cover or not!
    The MAIN difference in using natural or Plastic/PVC is it's longevity!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast