Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: night lights on boats

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappieseeker, I think G sent the pm to 10oc , not to you. I'm sending you one.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

After deciding that lanterns were not for me and that if I was going to spend big $$$ to hear something make noise all night it was not going to be a generator; I chose this simple setup. Name:  P1010009.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  33.9 KB I run this one at the front and it also doubles as a night navigation aid because it can easily be turned and tilted. I have another similar setup at the rear but on a slightly taller stem and sometimes I run a third light at the center of the boat off of the driver side just to light up the area behind me (the side that I don't fish from). During summer, I regularly run all 3 of these plus 2 hydroglow style submersible lights for 5.5 hrs on a group 24 walmart battery.

Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly what I was looking for, things along the line of this. I was wanting something that rose up from a base plate like the one I use for my hitek rod holders. I want something that will run about 6 hours. This is what I had in mind. Can you shoot me a pm with the equipment and rigging details please.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldo View Post
    After deciding that lanterns were not for me and that if I was going to spend big $$$ to hear something make noise all night it was not going to be a generator; I chose this simple setup. Name:  P1010009.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  33.9 KB I run this one at the front and it also doubles as a night navigation aid because it can easily be turned and tilted. I have another similar setup at the rear but on a slightly taller stem and sometimes I run a third light at the center of the boat off of the driver side just to light up the area behind me (the side that I don't fish from). During summer, I regularly run all 3 of these plus 2 hydroglow style submersible lights for 5.5 hrs on a group 24 walmart battery.

Post Thanks / Like

If I ran 2 lights like this one how long do you think they would run and are those LED or halogen lights? How tall is that rod?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeker, the LED stick of lights, that come in different amounts, give lots of radiated light above the water also. A small light for the brim of your hat helps for tying and landing fish but IMO above water lights really aren't needed. The more LED's you can afford the better they work. One green and one white from different ends of the boat and you're good to go. Battery drain on these lights is very low compared to lights of the past. I run my non-led lights off of the TM batteries with good results.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Crappieseeker, actually what you see in the photo is an 18" hi-tek stem that I don't use because the short ones work better for my spider setup. Of course it easily fits into the base plate that was already in place for spider trolling. This type of LED light can be found at Northern Tool or for better pricing try www.superbrightleds.com (work and offroad lights) . Depending upon what exactly the light will be used for you may choose flood lights or spot lights; therefore pay careful attention to the beam angle listed for each light rather than just looking for highest output. The lights come with mounting brackets and a connected pigtail consisting of 2 wires (negative and positive). My choice was to install 12v extension plugs onto the pigtails, but then I had to install 12v outlets at the front, rear, and console of the boat. Other stem options that I have tried include downrods (available in various lengths) and an old broom/mop handle (cut to desired length). Name:  P1010005.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  24.3 KBName:  P1010012.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  36.8 KB
    Likes BoarBuster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can easily get 6hrs from 2 of these LED utility lights. With a deep cycle battery dedicated to running these lights they shine until the sun takes over.

Post Thanks / Like

skeetbum I like the headlamp lights ok but I have taking a liking to above water lights better than anything I have seen so far. What are you referring too when you say LED stick of lights? I do not care for the green lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Seeker, the LED stick of lights, that come in different amounts, give lots of radiated light above the water also. A small light for the brim of your hat helps for tying and landing fish but IMO above water lights really aren't needed. The more LED's you can afford the better they work. One green and one white from different ends of the boat and you're good to go. Battery drain on these lights is very low compared to lights of the past. I run my non-led lights off of the TM batteries with good results.

Post Thanks / Like

Me and you think alike. I was wanting something just like that. I had sent callshy a message about a set up like this but he never responded. I guess he never got my message. I love my hiteks for trolling but wanted to use the base plates for night fishing to put something like this into. My problem would be putting in the plugs like you mentioned I think I have one at the console but it is the only one I have and would have to get someone to fix one up for me. Maybe I could get a cord long enough to reach from the front around to the console.
    Crappieseeker, actually what you see in the photo is an 18" hi-tek stem that I don't use because the short ones work better for my spider setup. Of course it easily fits into the base plate that was already in place for spider trolling. This type of LED light can be found at Northern Tool or for better pricing try www.superbrightleds.com (work and offroad lights) . Depending upon what exactly the light will be used for you may choose flood lights or spot lights; therefore pay careful attention to the beam angle listed for each light rather than just looking for highest output. The lights come with mounting brackets and a connected pigtail consisting of 2 wires (negative and positive). My choice was to install 12v extension plugs onto the pigtails, but then I had to install 12v outlets at the front, rear, and console of the boat. Other stem options that I have tried include downrods (available in various lengths) and an old broom/mop handle (cut to desired length). Name:  P1010005.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

did you use the flood light or spot light?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast