Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you hook your minnows

Post Thanks / Like

I hook my minnows through the eyes they stay a live for a decent amount of time
    Likes arkcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soloist View Post
    I hook my minnows through the eyes they stay a live for a decent amount of time

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    I worm mine on starting at the tail and come out the mouth. Fish swallow minnows head first and I don't like them hitting the line before they get the minnow in their mouth. Lots of people call this a short strike, but the truth is they are hitting the line first. You feel the bump from the lips hitting the line but no hookup. When you get a bunch of this, worm them on tail first.
    Actually ... Crappie don't "hit the line" when hitting a minnow. Crappie don't actually "bite" a minnow ... and the minnow doesn't hang straight down from the sinker. Crappie actually "suck the minnow in" by opening their mouths & flaring their gills, creating a vacuum that draws in the minnow/hook & the water surrounding the minnow. The water is forced out through the gills, and the minnow is swallowed. A minnow or Shad doesn't have sharp fins, that could cause damage to a Crappie's throat ... so they don't always "turn" the minnow head first before swallowing.
    Crappie also don't always hit their prey "head first", either ... they don't have to, since they engulf the prey by the sucking in water/prey method. If they detect sharp fins or spines on their prey, they can turn the prey "head first" with their tongue/mouth before swallowing it.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

dear crappiepappy…do you believe that when crappie bite on minnows or jigs…that they are easier to catch than a garfish…i.e.you would be much more likely to see the crappie when getting a hookup than some of the other species(not bass) that we get bites from when crappie fishing……?

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Just in case someone ones to see how the fish actually bite. Commentary is interesting also.

Ice Fishing on a Sunny Day ! Bluegill + Crappie Underwater Bites - YouTube
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishervet View Post
    dear crappiepappy…do you believe that when crappie bite on minnows or jigs…that they are easier to catch than a garfish…i.e.you would be much more likely to see the crappie when getting a hookup than some of the other species(not bass) that we get bites from when crappie fishing……?
    Vet .... Gar tend to grab a bait well out towards the end of their long snouts. They have teeth, so they actually "bite" the bait to kill it, rather than swallow it whole/alive like a Crappie would. So, yeah, I do believe a Crappie is easier to catch than a Gar. Not to mention the mouth of a Crappie is much softer than that of a Gar ... so hook penetration is easier into a Crappie.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    Just in case someone ones to see how the fish actually bite. Commentary is interesting also.

Ice Fishing on a Sunny Day ! Bluegill + Crappie Underwater Bites - YouTube
    What I saw on the video, was typical Crappie & Bluegill bites in frigid water temps ... ie: slow movement, finicky reaction, near neutral mood of the fish .... and yet, the Bluegill still grabbed the jig/meat in the lip portion of its mouth, while the Crappie (that was caught) sucked in the whole jig/meat offering with a simple flaring of the gills (as I eluded to, previously).

The Crappie & Bluegill can see much better in cold water, too. They also did not have to "chase" the bait, like they would have to do with a live minnow on a hook/sinker rig or a moving jig or jig/minnow rig.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hook mine thru the eyes.
    Likes Badgerloader, sniperei LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thru the eyes
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Badgerloader, arkcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The only bad thing about hooking them through the lips and out the head is it is hard not to hit the brain and kill them. So mine go through the eye.
    Likes Badgerloader LIKED above post

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast