Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking into buying my 1st Boat

Post Thanks / Like

I have too ask what maybe a obvious question, unless your stressed for time or fishing tournments why do you need 60hp? I bought my 1st boat last Fall and nice older used fiberglass tri haul, 9.5Hp outboard, 2 trollers and a depth finder and use it about every weekend, its stable comfortable for 2 guys but 3 will work ok, and best of all bought for under $1000, sure I like the fancy bass boats but as I told my buddy you can catch just as many fish with a older boat, and we normally do!

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Ripalips boat in classifieds. Good boat fully loaded ready to go...
    TOO MANY IDIOTS TO FEW BULLETS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom 513 View Post
    I have too ask what maybe a obvious question, unless your stressed for time or fishing tournments why do you need 60hp? I bought my 1st boat last Fall and nice older used fiberglass tri haul, 9.5Hp outboard, 2 trollers and a depth finder and use it about every weekend, its stable comfortable for 2 guys but 3 will work ok, and best of all bought for under $1000, sure I like the fancy bass boats but as I told my buddy you can catch just as many fish with a older boat, and we normally do!
    Bet you ain't fishing 75,000 acre lakes either. We have large lakes down here in the south, that can get nasty in a hurry. Big safe and fast is a necessity, Imo.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

9.5 hp will not work in the Arkansas river on the main channel and plus we have big lakes were I live at

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't get a fiberglass boat as a first boat if it's used. Fiberglass boats can turn into nightmares if they have weak transoms, rotten floors, stress cracks, waterlogged foam in the floors, etc. etc. If you go used, you might consider paying someone to take a look at a prospective boat that you're serious about buying if you don't know anyone that is really knowledgeable to go along with you. There are a LOT of things that a new boater doesn't have a clue about that can add up to a lot of repair expenses. Besides that, the excitement of getting a new rig will invariably cause a lot of "overlooking" of possible problems on your part, that your friend or boat inspector will not miss and can bring to your attention.

Post Thanks / Like

how often do you REALLY plan to use it ? I had a nice deep v tracker and it collected dust not that I did not want to fish but work and family has a priority. I sold it and now have a nice 16 foot jon that I customized with a 25 hp Johnson and bow and stern trolling motors. whole rig I have $3000.00 in it. And I catch no fewer fish than a guy in a $30000.00 rig. Just weigh your options before you spend that kind of $$$$$$$ IMO

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingarkansas View Post
    Hey Guys I have been what you consider a unfortunate on by always fishing on the dock or on the bank, finally I have decided to buy myself a boat what kind not to sure been leaning towards a bass tracker or a triton but I do know I want something with at least a 60hp! So here is what I am asking what type of boat do you have and to you what are the pro's and Cons of it? I have set a spending budget of 15k and no more! I plan on fishing the Arkansas river and hopefully a lot of the lakes in SE Arkansas! Any Info would be helpful!
    That is a nice budget you have set aside for your first boat. My first "Real" boat was a Bass Tracker 17.5 with a 25hp on it. I miss that boat. It was great for crappie fishing.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with something mentioned earlier...ACCESSORIES. I for one seriously lack patience and I would consider looking into used alum. boats that have at least some of the accessories you want or is enough below your budget to add them after purchase. That being said, I have a 2011 Tracker PT 190 and have no complaints. I bought it used with 8 hours on the engine and got a great deal. For a first time owner, alum. is more forgiving and easier on the wallet.
    A man remembered never dies.

Post Thanks / Like

HI Rusty enjoyed our talk the other night. I would not let what BayouMonster steer me away from a good deal. As I told you the boat I bought is a 73 glassmaster with an 03 115hp fourstroke Suzuki. That had went thru Katrina. The majority of the deck was covered by a piece of plywood that was screwed over the giant hole. Carried the boat out it cranked first try no winding it up for take off. Ran like a top. The axle,springs and tires needed replaced. I gave $1000.00 for it knowing It was worth it. It cost $600.00 to replace the axle,springs,hubs, and tires/wheels. Called the insurance company and they checked on motor value at the dealerships two dealers had the same exact motor. Same hp same year. One wanted $3500.00 the other wanted $4500 or $4000 I don't remember which. If I had trashed the boat hull found another hull and trailer. I would still be ahead. Like I told you on the phone. Some times it can be good to find part of what you want and then look for the rest in a deal that some would pass up because they don't want to do and thing bt go fish and leave the repairs to someone else. I do a little at a time and still fish when I want to. Talk to you again soon.

FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

Some basic questions.
    Side console, Tiller, or full console?
    Fish and ski or just fish?
    Bass style full raised deck, floored deep v, or something between the two?
    Bass Style, Modified V, or Deep V?
    How big of a gas tank do you need to feed that 60hp motor so you don't run out of gas on your lakes?
    Where in the boat do you want the livewell?
    How many livewells do you want?
    How many gallons per livewell?
    What species of fish are you after?
    Is this a tournament boat, weekend warrior, or utility boat?
    Family, friends- how many per trip? Got enough seats and load capacity to carry them safely?
    DO you need a Marine radio? Does a local police/ natural resources agency monitor a channel on the marine bands?
    Do you need a weather radio?
    What style of fishing do you want to do- trolling, spider rigging, anchor up over fish cribs, fish docks, fish bays/fingers, fish the main lake, etc.?
    How many weekends/ days per month are you using the boat?

I watched a guy at the boat ramp last night. This story belongs in another thread, but you will understand why I posted it here.
    Him backing the trailer to retrieve his boat from the water. Wife, and two young kids in the boat. Truck is a relatively new Suburban, decked out and loaded with the camping gear, including firewood on the roof rack. Boat, brand new Alumacraft Competitor model, fully loaded. It was pretty obvious he had limited to no experience backing the trailer. After the forth attempt, he stopped, opened the rear hatch so he could see. I was waiting for him to move so I could back in to unload my boat. My son standing on the dock waiting for me, watches as the guy stops suddenly during his fifth attempt to back up, and both coolers and half their clothes slide out the Suburban and onto the ramp, cooler pop open and everything ends up on the ramp. I was going to offer a hand as I back down the ramp around him, he barks at me for parking in the wrong place. I could tell he was frustrated and embarrassed and he just needed to vent. I offered to help. He said he had it. Unloaded and offered him a hand loading the boat. His 4 year old son comes to help him, slips on the ramp moss and lands on his butt. This guy was not having a good day at the ramp.
    Don't be that guy.
    When you get your boat, find a empty parking lot and learn to back up. Also, if your having trouble, don't be afraid to accept some help. We all learned the hard way, and the learning was easier when we had a friendly hand.

Sorry, I digress. The reason for all the questions is to help narrow down the boat selection process. While you may not know what you want, yet. Knowing how you plan to use the boat will help to figure out the boat that fits your needs. There are hundreds of models of boats out there, each one is different from the next. Who knows, you may be happy with a pontoon boat?
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 07-22-2013 at 06:54 AM.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes ehall LIKED above post

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast