HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast

Thread: Longlining Questions?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I seen the other thread on socks after I posted this. I see now where one or two socks are needed depending on wind speed and boat size.

Post Thanks / Like

Do any of you have any suggestions for drifting socks, when you are running lines out the front and back? I haven't bought a sock yet but one would have been nice this weekend. I don't see how I could run any with lines out the front and the back.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll figure it out S-town. Especially if it means throwing out a sock or two or either going home. My socks run right behind the transom, not more than 6" away from it.; This might limit a few rods closest to the boat from getting fished off the front holders but you can still fish your longer rods.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I was asked about how I set the line so each throw would set out the same amount of line each time with a spinning reel.

Each spinning reel will have a line holder/stop like this one,

Name:  spinner reel line holder 001.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  39.5 KB

Once you have the amount of line out that you want hook the line in the holder,

Name:  spinner reel line holder 002.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  28.7 KB

Reel in 4 or 5 turns of line so when a fish hits the line will not be cut by the line holder as the reel will again be holding the line,

Name:  spinner reel line holder 003.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  31.4 KB

Now your reel is set up so each time you throw out your line it will stop at the same footage each time. Always be sure to reel in 4 or five turns of line before setting your rod back in its holder.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4
    Likes OnDaHill, TowboatTroller, USMA65 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You sly 'ole dog you! Great tip.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the drag still able to work if a striper or green carp hits and takes more line than your 4 or 5 turns?? Will it pull off of the line stop or break the line?

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, but just knowing how hard a striper will hit and take line I would suspect that 6 lb line would be pretty quick to snap once those 4 or 5 rounds of line are off the reel. For my situation that would be fine with me though.

Post Thanks / Like

im with you butch, i would rather retye one line than six that thang is gonna tangle up in a fight.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BOCOON View Post
    Is the drag still able to work if a striper or green carp hits and takes more line than your 4 or 5 turns?? Will it pull off of the line stop or break the line?
    This is a good learning tool for beginners to learn how hard they need to throw their rods to get the right amount of line out. I don't use this anymore and never had a striper hit but have caught bass while using this setup with no troubles.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

While longlining for crappie, I hooked a striper 5-6 lbs on Murray, gave a lot of line while my partner reeled in most of the other lines. That can be real fun on a 12 ft rod !
    Politicians should be required to wear their corporate sponsors uniform like NASCAR !

Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 51213141516171825 ... LastLast