Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Coyote at my door

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coyote at my door

Over the past two years there has been a growing population of coyotes near my hunting land. Last spring I bought a .17 cal remmington rifle with hi power scope to get started in varmit hunting. Bought several mouth calls of various creatures...coyote pup, injured rabbit, and quail call. Went to the woods and tried them on bringing in a coyote. Nothing.....did call in a fox and shot it with the new rifle. Nothing on coyotes however. Decided to buy an electronic call as I had read they work. Took the new e-call out yesterday. It was so cold I sat in the truck while the e-call made its self known at the highest volume just outside the truck door. Cranked the scope power up to highest as I figured I would see the coyote coming in the open field out to 300 yards where I sat in the truck.....20 minutes of trying the different calls on the electronic call and finally settling on a coyote/fox fight call......there he was......a big coyote standing 30 yards from the truck door. Slowly raised the rifle and pointed.....nothing.....the scope was so cranked up in power it blurred out the image.....got excited then...couldn't think which way to turn the scope power setting.......coyote saw me....took off to the woods 80 yards away....finally got the scope set on low power....sighted the coyote in the cross hairs......suddenly a large hound dog ran out of the woods and headed for the coyote....didn't get to pull the trigger but did get to hear a huge hound dog chase a coyote for 1/2 mile or so........interesting outing. Them coyotes can sneak up on you....hound dogs can too!

Post Thanks / Like

Good story Iam,
    I always enjoyed coyote hunting, it always seemed like about the time I was ready to give up a dog would come in. Quite a few people around here hunt em with greyhounds, that's quite a sight to see a lead dog run down a yote, once he gets there the carnage is on.
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great story Iamfishing,

I have also been miserably unsuccessful in coyote hunting. The last time I went I blew a howler. I heard something running up toward me through the hollow and then out burst a bluetick and a red treeing hound. Crazy. Turns out I called them off some coon hunter. I called the number on the shock callers and told him what happened. I haven't been coyote hunting since. I guess it just goes to show that all dogs respond to distress/howl calls.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy