Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overheating gamefisher

drum655 Guest

Default overheating gamefisher

hey i have posted about this before. i have a gamefisher motor (made by sears) that is air cooled. the engine overheats after only a few minutes of use. what may be causing this. it got so hot recently that it melted a hole in the built in gas tank. I see this as a little bit of a dangerous problem. i have cleaned the heat sink and everything but the motor still over heats. keep in mind that the motor is nothing more than a glorified chainsaw motor. Why is it overheating? confused: i really want to get the motor up and running good again. thanks, any ideas are appreciated!!!
    ~~Josh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drum655
    hey i have posted about this before. i have a gamefisher motor (made by sears) that is air cooled. the engine overheats after only a few minutes of use. what may be causing this. it got so hot recently that it melted a hole in the built in gas tank. I see this as a little bit of a dangerous problem. i have cleaned the heat sink and everything but the motor still over heats. keep in mind that the motor is nothing more than a glorified chainsaw motor. Why is it overheating? confused: i really want to get the motor up and running good again. thanks, any ideas are appreciated!!!
    ~~Josh
    This is not much more than a hunch, but wasn't that engine designed to burn Regular gas and not unleaded?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might try asking here: http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi
    There ae some real sharp mech on that site.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

One cause of overheating in two-strokes is a lean mixture. Adjusting by ear to best sound is usually not right. You need to richen it up a little.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with catfan sounds like you need to run it a little richer. Air flow can be critical also make sure that any baffles in the cover are not bent because that could disrupt the airflow. Just another thought.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember for sure, but I think some of those old game fishers required 24:1 mixture of gas/oil. That would sure cause it to overheat if you are runnign 50:1.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Drum, you got my curosity up, so I went to Iboats and did a search for "air cooled game fisher". There is some good info there that might help you. Like you are not suppose to use TCW-3 oil. Just TC (W is for water cooled) (I didn't know that). Also, some of them have an impeller to cool just the exhaust. Some of them made in the 60's use a 16:1 mixture of gas/oil. I can learn something new every day if I try. LOL

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

drum655 Guest

i have heard two or three people say the gas/oil ratio should be 24:1, but on the engine itself it sayd 50:1. which i right. and if 50:1 is right, should i mich the fuel a little bit richer and see if that help the overheating. maybe since the engine is so old it need richer fuel. who know...its a mystery to me. i just wish i had a for sure answer. thanks everyone for your ideas...does anyone have anymore ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drum655
    i have heard two or three people say the gas/oil ratio should be 24:1, but on the engine itself it sayd 50:1. which i right. and if 50:1 is right, should i mich the fuel a little bit richer and see if that help the overheating. maybe since the engine is so old it need richer fuel. who know...its a mystery to me. i just wish i had a for sure answer. thanks everyone for your ideas...does anyone have anymore ideas?
    Richness doesn't refer to the mix in the tank, it refers to the adjustment of the carburetor. Rich is more fuel, lean is less.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

could be timming off a little . you can add some more oil to it . you might need to a hotter plug . worth a try . check this site out .http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl. on mercuray forum a fisherman had a nerc that was over heating and he spent a bundle on it but now has it fixed
    retired and now i will always fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast