Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aqua Vu????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aqua Vu????

The tough fishing here in N.E. Louisiana has got me looking for a way to catch some crappie. I know some fishermen use the "AquaVu", and reports have indicated they have done well, even when others are not. I've been to The "AquaVu" site and looked at all the models they offer, but I'd like to hear from the fishermen and women that have actually been using them in everyday fishing. I'd like to hear both the advantages and disadvantages. I can only imagine seeing the fish in their natural habitat, and I like the idea.....but are we taking an unethical advantage in their use? I've seen the bass pros using an AquaVu on TV, and a few crappie fishermen as well. I've got to admit, my first thought was to cry "foul!", but my second thought was "Hey! I've got to try this!"
    After submitting "AquaVu" to my search engine, I found another manufacturer of a similar product line called "Atlantis." Has anyone used this line? If so, how does it compare? Seems it's a bit less expensive on most models, but bottom line, how does it compare?
    Here are both sites..... www.AquaVu.com .....http://AtlantisCamera.com
    Last edited by labill; 08-01-2004 at 05:56 PM. Reason: to insert websites

Post Thanks / Like

Default AquaVu.......

Is there no one using an underwater viewing device on the boards? Sure could use some advice.......

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the Pa board and read posts 15 & 16 under the thread "Shenango". You might search the main msg board also.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default AquaVu.......

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    Go to the Pa board and read posts 15 & 16 under the thread "Shenango". You might search the main msg board also.

Thanks for the tip, kunes......I'll check with cat and chaunc, maybe they can shed some light on underwater cameras. Thanks again, and good fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Labill I'm like you I would like to think that catching fish is awsome, finding them
    is half the fun if you find them it gives you some feeling of acomplishment like
    you really have figured them out. but during the dog days of summer it truly is a hit
    and miss thing.So with that said I don't think there is anything unsportsman like
    in using a camera but I think I would still try everything I know before using it
    only taking advantage of it when all else fails to try and salvage the day. I may
    end up getting one some day but not today I'll let the price drop some and
    the technology improve.
    Last edited by sacalait steve; 08-03-2004 at 08:16 PM.
    GOT BITE? -----~<*)###>{

Post Thanks / Like

Default AquaVu....

Hey Steve, I pretty much feel as you do, but I'm also facinated with the concept of seeing the fish in their natural surroundings. I know one fisherman that uses the technology and does as much looking at crappie as fishing for them. According to him, he gets caught up in spending most of the day finding schools and brushpiles. I also think that the water clarity in our little neck of the woods could be a major problem in how far we could actually be able to see. I will do a little more research before I make a decision on spending that much USD's on a fishing toy. Thanks for your input, Steve, and good fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Under Water Cams

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    Is there no one using an underwater viewing device on the boards? Sure could use some advice.......
    Hi Bill,

Good to see you back. I have an Aqua-Vu XPS that I use. But one thing I can tell you is this. I will improve your catch ratio due to the fact that while you are fishing structure, the fish may only be holding in a small area. Once you find them with the cam, you will know that you are fishing directly on top of them. Now some might view this as cheating, but chasing fish around in 100 degree weather is not my idea of fun. If I'm out there when it is as hot as it is now, I want ever advantage.
    One of the main advantages of the cam is the water temp monitor. The XPS has a temp monitor on it and as you use it, even though you are looking at fish, if the under water temp is not right, you might as well move on.
    Oh by the way, Bass Pro has a large selection of the cams set up on display. I think they also have the monitors in the fish tank or they did when I was over there last. You might want to check them out......
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default underwater cams...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    Hi Bill,

Good to see you back. I have an Aqua-Vu XPS that I use. But one thing I can tell you is this. I will improve your catch ratio due to the fact that while you are fishing structure, the fish may only be holding in a small area. Once you find them with the cam, you will know that you are fishing directly on top of them. Now some might view this as cheating, but chasing fish around in 100 degree weather is not my idea of fun. If I'm out there when it is as hot as it is now, I want ever advantage.
    One of the main advantages of the cam is the water temp monitor. The XPS has a temp monitor on it and as you use it, even though you are looking at fish, if the under water temp is not right, you might as well move on.
    Oh by the way, Bass Pro has a large selection of the cams set up on display. I think they also have the monitors in the fish tank or they did when I was over there last. You might want to check them out......

Hey, Tommy...Now that you mentioned it, seems that Dave said something about you using a "crappie cam." By the pics you've posted, you have done better than us, whether by camera or skill. I didn't see an XPS model on their site, but I had already decided on two features I wanted if I were to buy one; the temp display and the directional indicator. I also like the combination of red and green lights. Our LA waters are not the clearest in the world, apparently that hasn't been a problem and that was my main concern. I appreciate your input, and if you think of anything else that relates let me know?

Has there been any new developments about the "yellow fillets?" The last post you left was a pic of the yellow fillet, and that you were going to take it to a biologist. I know these things take time, drop us a post if you get any new info. Good fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Follow up on Yellow Fillets

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    Hey, Tommy...Now that you mentioned it, seems that Dave said something about you using a "crappie cam." By the pics you've posted, you have done better than us, whether by camera or skill. I didn't see an XPS model on their site, but I had already decided on two features I wanted if I were to buy one; the temp display and the directional indicator. I also like the combination of red and green lights. Our LA waters are not the clearest in the world, apparently that hasn't been a problem and that was my main concern. I appreciate your input, and if you think of anything else that relates let me know?

Has there been any new developments about the "yellow fillets?" The last post you left was a pic of the yellow fillet, and that you were going to take it to a biologist. I know these things take time, drop us a post if you get any new info. Good fishing!
    Hi Bill,

Well, I found out if you want a fish pathologist to analyze your fish fillets, they have to be fresh! LOL Anyway, I carried four very good specimens over to the fish and wildlife in Monroe this past Friday, only to find out that they couldn't do an analysis on the meat if it had been frozen. So to make a long story short, I took our fish biologist, yesterday morning and we boated 11 for sampling. They were shipping the fish to Baton Rouge and our biologist said that he should have the results in a day or two. And like he said, if it is a parasite, there's not much that can be done. The only way to treat that would be to treat the whole lake and you know Louisiana as well as I do. The cost for that would exceed the good will of the state.
    Well, My bud and I are off to give chase to the schoolies this morning. They were ripping the water yesterday. Haven't seen that in years out here.

By the way, I got a report off of Grand Bayou last night and they are supposed to be ripping the crappie down there. This came from a not so reliable source however.

One more Note about the cam. One of the tops that we fished yesterday was covered with crappie when we pulled up. Most of the time the fish will always be in one spot on the top, but yesterday they wanted to move. I marked the fish with a bayou when we found them on the cam. And sure enough we managed to catch a couple very quickly. Then nothing! Now on these tops, I may drop a new one next to and old one which is the case here. However the 2 tops are about 20 foot apart. Well Mike, (our fish and wildlife biologist) had some co-workers meeting him on the lake to dive on the structures that they had put out. When they pulled up I asked them if they would like to view a large school of crappie in they're natural habitat. Of course they did so I lowered the cam, and to no avail. Everyone of those fish had up and pulled off the top. Where there had been dozens of fish there was nothing but penn oak limbs. So after pondering this for all of a couple of seconds, I knew that the fish must have moved to the old top. Sure enough, I trolled over and what do you supposed I spotted. Looked to be every one of the fish that I had spotted earlier on the new top. After Mike had departed I dropped a line just to see what would happen and bit was on. Just one more reason to spend that 450 USD on that cam!!! LOL…. So whatever you decide, their one thing for sure. It is almost as enjoyable to watch the fish all schooled up down there, as it is to catch them.
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    Hi Bill,

Well, I found out if you want a fish pathologist to analyze your fish fillets, they have to be fresh! LOL Anyway, I carried four very good specimens over to the fish and wildlife in Monroe this past Friday, only to find out that they couldn't do an analysis on the meat if it had been frozen. So to make a long story short, I took our fish biologist, yesterday morning and we boated 11 for sampling. They were shipping the fish to Baton Rouge and our biologist said that he should have the results in a day or two. And like he said, if it is a parasite, there's not much that can be done. The only way to treat that would be to treat the whole lake and you know Louisiana as well as I do. The cost for that would exceed the good will of the state.
    Well, My bud and I are off to give chase to the schoolies this morning. They were ripping the water yesterday. Haven't seen that in years out here.

By the way, I got a report off of Grand Bayou last night and they are supposed to be ripping the crappie down there. This came from a not so reliable source however.

One more Note about the cam. One of the tops that we fished yesterday was covered with crappie when we pulled up. Most of the time the fish will always be in one spot on the top, but yesterday they wanted to move. I marked the fish with a bayou when we found them on the cam. And sure enough we managed to catch a couple very quickly. Then nothing! Now on these tops, I may drop a new one next to and old one which is the case here. However the 2 tops are about 20 foot apart. Well Mike, (our fish and wildlife biologist) had some co-workers meeting him on the lake to dive on the structures that they had put out. When they pulled up I asked them if they would like to view a large school of crappie in they're natural habitat. Of course they did so I lowered the cam, and to no avail. Everyone of those fish had up and pulled off the top. Where there had been dozens of fish there was nothing but penn oak limbs. So after pondering this for all of a couple of seconds, I knew that the fish must have moved to the old top. Sure enough, I trolled over and what do you supposed I spotted. Looked to be every one of the fish that I had spotted earlier on the new top. After Mike had departed I dropped a line just to see what would happen and bit was on. Just one more reason to spend that 450 USD on that cam!!! LOL…. So whatever you decide, their one thing for sure. It is almost as enjoyable to watch the fish all schooled up down there, as it is to catch them.

Hey, Tommy......seems your pathologists are a picky bunch. I guess they have to, given the work they do. I hope they can find the cause and be able to treat whatever it is. It's too good a lake to just let it go down. Dave and I had planned a trip there, but changed our plans when we saw the pic you posted of the yellow fillet. BTY, have you seen any other species that have the same problem?

Grand Bayou has been good to me several years for both crappie and bass. I even like the slot they put on bass, we catch lots but only keep them under the slot, which according to Wildlife&Fisheries is what they want. We may try to go again when the nights are cool enough to start dropping the water temp.

RE: AquaVu.....I'm sold on it now, but I will wait to see if the winter brings a discount when the fishing slows down. I'm the type that could spend all day doing nothing but watching the wildlife under the surface, but then I will have to buy a GPS so I can mark all the structure and tops I find! New day technology is costly. Bet I can get Dave to split the cost with me, he's dying to get an AquaVu. I'm amazed that Mike doesn't have an underwater cam of some description. After seeing what you showed him, he may have to cave in and get one. Regardless, there are too many benefits to pass on them.

Let us know how you do on the schooling bass...they're a ton of fun.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast