Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depth Finders Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Depth Finders Help

I am just looking for some thoughts. I have looked at the 797si Humming Bird, and also the 520c Lowrance. Any thoughts? I am going to load which ever one I decide on with Navonics Hot Maps. Looking for experiance to help out a newbie!
    Take your kids hunting and fishing, and you won't be hunting your kids

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 797 and love it.find lots of structure with it. also am learnin to read it better to find different types of bottom.with logs laying down or leaners the other fish finder's miss,, I like it real well,have the 777 up front on the trowling motor, excellent unit.
    now one thing I dont like about the maps I have navonics,and there not to good,not bad but not to good, on my garmin I hav hot maps and they were great.... good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Go Garmin and don't look back!
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Sundrop which Garmin compares to the two I was looking at? I would like to compare all 3. Beagle Man i appreciate your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by SUNDROP; 02-10-2008 at 01:38 AM.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have the funds to get the Humminbird 797 which has the side imaging, get it. If you don't, I bet you a quarter that you will wish you had. The 520 is a fine maching, but it you like to crappie fish and crappie love structure, than the 797 will be worth the money. It will amaze you. I shows you stumps and ditches and trees and brush piles that you would drive right by with any normal depth finder. And don't even get me started on bridge pillings. If you ever fish bridge pillings, the side imaging is worth is weight in fun. You can pick out which pillings the fish are currently using (eliminating the ones they aren't) and see about how deep the fish are hanging and to which side of the pillings.

Search the threads here and see the pics. It is a lot of money, I know. My wife let me buy the 997. But the kids are already reaping the benefits of the side imaging.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Ranger, I have been looking at the pictures for sometime now. The funds are there if I need to spend them but I want the best for the money I spend. Sundrop swears by the Garmin, but most of the people on here are Hummingbird fans. I wish I could find someone in the Bowling Green Ky area that had one that I could see operate. Maybe it would guide me in the right direction. You know any time I spend a $1000.00 I try to do my homework first. If I could make it as fast as I spend it it wouldn't matter. I really appreciate all the help from all of you guys!

Post Thanks / Like

That 797si is an exception for me. If I had the cash I'd buy it. If Garmin comes out with a reasonable side image I'll still go Garmin.

Post Thanks / Like

klight go on and spend the big money . i will fish with you keep my boat in the garage and save me some doe. just buy more fishing stuff right. Cant take it with you. i will install it for you think i know how already practiced on mine same boat just different color. give me a shout when you get this.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-11-2008 at 12:36 AM.
    HERE FISHY FISHY

Post Thanks / Like

Klight, i bought the 520-C less than a month ago and Im still sick i didn't go ahead and spend the extra bucks then, now guess what, gonna get me one soon. Boy didn't i save a bundle!!
    Last edited by Dawgmanx2; 02-10-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast