Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: mini-planer boards for crappie???

Post Thanks / Like

Default mini-planer boards for crappie???

Any of you guys ever use the mini-planer boards for crappie? I'm thinking about buying a couple, but I'm afraid I've been watching too much In-Fisherman
    If any of you guys do using the planer boards, do you use jigs or small crankbaits?

Thanks in advance!!

Post Thanks / Like

i have used them, they work great ,i have used all kinds of baits with them

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used them myself BUT I have seen them used twice , once the people were crappie fishing & running the planner boards closer to the bank, the other time they were striper fishing& the same thing , running the planner next to the bank, never saw the guys fishing for crappie catch anything BUT I did see the striper guys catch several fish . both of these people were on the upper end of Murray

Post Thanks / Like

Bowler man, thanks for the reply. How much line would you suggest letting out before attaching the planer board?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowler man
    i have used them, they work great ,i have used all kinds of baits with them

Post Thanks / Like

Cleon,Robert Wood,of Bobs bait use to sell a truly mini planer board,it was 2in high by 4 inch long someone custom made them on lake norman just for small jigs.I dont know if they are big enough to pull crankbaits.His # 704-483-1011,he probally sells the water bugz brand also but not sure,they are a small lightweight board made by a guide up around lake norman,Jeff Tomberlin,they work well also,I have 2 sets of them I use for stripers.If he dont have them I can get you Jeffs #.You use to be able to get them direct from him.As for how much line to let out before you attach the board is all based on how deep you want the bait/lure to run,probally best done on a trial basis to find out how much back runs how deep for a particular jig weight/speed. SAM
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info! I can't wait to try these things out!

Post Thanks / Like

it is just like down lining but with a board ,if you want your bait deep let out more ,shallow less, i have put a 100 foot of line off mine before and i have used as little a foot , trolling speed will determine the depth. i have also used mine while anchored in current, you just keep feeding line till you get the bait where you want it,i have anchored 100' off the bank at cedar creek and fed lines from bank to bank while the water was running .i have caught some of my bigger blues and strippers doing this with 1/2 sinkers and cut bait you will love it once you get the hang of it , but one warning most boaters on wylie have no respect for fishermen or giving boats room, they will cut your lines so fast it aint funny, so on wylie i only do it in early spring and late in the year ,atleast then the only idiots who run to close to you are bass fisherman and atleast some of them have some common courtesy not to get too close jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be using these on Keowee and Hartwell. Keowee is awful when it comes to pleasure boaters, so I'll have a bucket full of rocks and a slingshot handy.