Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boudain

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boudain

i know this is not about cooking crappie, but could some of you fellers post a recipe for boudain? i would prefer that you be from La.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Dangit, I aint from La.

:D Just kiddin Wills. Holler if ya want the recipe. A fellow forum member (Freeflow) and myself put this batch together last Dec. We deemed it 5 star.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

just kidding about being from La., too, Shoer. I spent too many years around New Iberia and Lafayette for my own good. I got addicted to the food and been going through withdrawals ever since. Think I'll get me a stuffer for my sausage mill and try my hand. That picture you posted makes my mouth water. One feller even suggested smoking it like link sausage. Reckon that'll work?

Post Thanks / Like

[IMG][/IMG]

Hey Wills this is the recipe we used. We started out with 22 lbs of pork butts I believe was the amount, and adjusted the amounts of the remaining ingredients accordingly. We pretty much followed the recipe to a T. Brian knew of a large butcher shop in his area and came up with a good price on the pork butts. I have since found out from the guys in the meat market at a local chain grocer that if you put in a word with them they will call you when their pork roasts are fixin to go past purchase date and reduce em down just as far as they would a few days later if they went in that overcode meat bin where you really dont want to take a chance of getting some bad meat.

Brian thought it coulda stood more rice & cayenne. The heat was just right for me and the only thing I will do next batch is make it a tad wetter, not much. I have some red bell pepper frozen from the garden and will put a little in just for color appeal next time, would add a jar of pimientos if I didn't have the red bell.

We made straight pork boudin and another thing next batch for me will be to take about half of my meat mixture when it is completely ready to stuff, put it to the side, and then add a cpl lbs of chopped up shrimp, maybe some clam juice to moisten it with-I like seafood boudin. Wish mudbugs were more readily available here.

Brian & I split the cost of everything and per/lb it wasn't bad at all, I forget the figure. If we were making it right now we could save on the onions, gr onions, peppers, & parsley as there is plenty of all in my garden.

I don't see why it couldnt be smoked. I'd run it thru a waterpipe Wills, if the pork is fatty that may get a little harsh on yur lungs. Have no idea what the buzz is like, you may be breaking new ground. Let us know if you find yurself in the starship Enterprise playing Yahtzee with the Cookie Monster.

Let us (or me) know how it went if you make some-what recipe-how it tastes.
    Good luck.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recipe, Shoer. I will definately try the seafood version since we're closer to the mudbugs and shrimp than you are. Oysters and crab meat might be a good addition, also. I suppose you could get real creative doing this sort of thing. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks a lot

Post Thanks / Like

omg .. i had forgotten bout boudain.. i used to live off it when i lived intexas....gotta find me someplace online to buy me some

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I miss the real deal like that - I've tried some of what I could get
    my hands on around here, and all I can say is HEAVY ON THE LIVER
    stink up the whole house. Not what I remembered. I looked at some
    online, but that stuff is HIGH! Been threatening to just drive down some
    weekend and load up coolers with it to bring back.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J White
    Man, I miss the real deal like that - I've tried some of what I could get
    my hands on around here, and all I can say is HEAVY ON THE LIVER
    stink up the whole house. Not what I remembered. I looked at some
    online, but that stuff is HIGH! Been threatening to just drive down some
    weekend and load up coolers with it to bring back.
    I went back to TX twice the first 6 mos. after moving here, had told my old clients I would until they had a chance to line up a new farrier. I did just what you said- had 3-4 48 qt coolers with plenty freezer bags & ice and loaded up. Then Mama went back a cpl times to check on our stud back there and did the same but finally ran out and started jonesing for it. That durn overnight dry ice shipping is the killer buying from afar, the boudoin itself
    ain't all too bad.
    Sure was a treat always to cross Louisiana travellin and stop at every 1 horse town just off I-10 and sample a boudoin outta the warmer kettle.
    The only bad part of that is some of them cajuns get a little carried away with the cayenne and by the time we passed thru Miss or Ala it was time for
    a soft ice cream cone, or as Canepole uses, popsicles.:p
    Get you some casings, my meat grinder cost $20 at Northern Tool with 2 sizes of grinding templates and several dia. stuffing tubes. You are in business. I am still mad at God for stamping me with an A for Alkie at birth cuz it is a job that begs for massive cold refreshment consumption. I am living proof that it can be done stone cold sober though. Freeflow however
    couldnt hang without a few Bud Lights the day we put our batch together, that lucky dog.:D
    You notice them LA reps are mighty quiet about this, they are just flat peculiar about their boudoin secrets. I guess I can't blame em-if you can chop up a nutria, couple snakes, & a frog or 2 and make em taste that good
    I'd keep mum too.
    Either that or it's a conspiracy and you just know jlaughlin, shadow, & labill are all in on it.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

Default Add flavor

Some time Boudin cooks add Smoked Ham Hocks into the boiling down of the stock making process, it adds an extra flavor....Shoer I don`t know where you could get a ham hock in Virgina.........Tknight
    The limit is how many you KEEP, not how many you CATCH! Cat. III Jigs/Custom Jig Poles

Post Thanks / Like

Those looking to order boudin online..look here.

http://www.cajungrocer.com/fresh-foo...c-1_15_32.html

I strongly suggest the Tony Chachere brand, its made by Abe's in Lake Charles, La.

The shrimp boudin is wonderful!!!!!!

Google Abe's Boudin for awards they have won.

Enjoy
    " I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they killed, there would be no more war. " Abbie Hoffman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast