Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LABILL, Tournament?

Post Thanks / Like

Default LABILL, Tournament?

LABILL,

With all these members in the state, maybe it is time to put together a LA Crappie.com Tournament when the weather warms up. Maybe on a body of water in the middle of the state around Alexandria with a state park where they have cabins to rent and campgounds for campers. It could be a good family outing.
    Last edited by basinfisher; 02-15-2005 at 05:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds Like A Good Idea To Me. I"m Sure Some Of The So.la. Fishermen Would Be Interested As Long As It:s Not Too Costly And/or Complicated. Let Us Know When And Where Or Where A Meeting Could Be Set Up........

Post Thanks / Like

I would be interested in a North vs South tournament. Drop me a line if this tournament materializes...
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Default North vs. South "member tournament"?

Quote Originally Posted by basinfisher
    LABILL,

With all these members in the state, maybe it is time to put together a LA Crappie.com Tournament when the weather warms up. Maybe on a body of water in the middle of the state around Alexandria with a state park where they have cabins to rent and campgounds for campers. It could be a good family outing.

I've been looking at the atlas in the Alex area, and came up with a few lakes, but I know nothing about them. Catahoula looks like the biggest, then there's Lake Rodemacher, Cotile, Saline and Lake Latt. NW of Latt is another called Lake Nantachee. Do you know if there is a local LDWF office in that area? We might need to contact them to find which lake might best suit our needs for a crappie tournament. They may also have a few regs for us to consider. I'll be glad to help co-ordinate and do whatever is possible to make it happen, but be advised I will more than likely not be able to be there during the tournament. I will PM you about that problem. Meanwhile, if you and I and a few others will work on this together we can do it. I know some of the S. LA bunch are already spoiling for a N vs S competition, so it shouldn't be too hard to get it rolling. I plan to check with all of my buddies to see if anyone has fished the area, if not, my next call will be to LDWF about the lakes and the facilities. If there is a good St. Park to base at, we would then need to poll the LA members to see how many would participate, then we can start thinking about who would officiate, who would be the treasurer (hold the money) and how much it costs to enter per boat. Another biggie will be setting the date. As wide spread as we are, we might be thinking about how to collect the fees.... U.S. mail? Maybe collect on arrival? It will take some agreement on many points, but we can work through it. Enough for now. I will contact LDWF tomorrow to see what info I can get in the way of information about the area and facilities, and will post the results when finished. I will also enlist the help of a couple members on my end, you may want to do the same. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bill, there isn't a better Crappie lake in the state than Saline Larto. I don't know about camping facilities but I have a camp about 30 minutes from there.

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    I've been looking at the atlas in the Alex area, and came up with a few lakes, but I know nothing about them. Catahoula looks like the biggest, then there's Lake Rodemacher, Cotile, Saline and Lake Latt. NW of Latt is another called Lake Nantachee. Do you know if there is a local LDWF office in that area? We might need to contact them to find which lake might best suit our needs for a crappie tournament. They may also have a few regs for us to consider. I'll be glad to help co-ordinate and do whatever is possible to make it happen, but be advised I will more than likely not be able to be there during the tournament. I will PM you about that problem. Meanwhile, if you and I and a few others will work on this together we can do it. I know some of the S. LA bunch are already spoiling for a N vs S competition, so it shouldn't be too hard to get it rolling. I plan to check with all of my buddies to see if anyone has fished the area, if not, my next call will be to LDWF about the lakes and the facilities. If there is a good St. Park to base at, we would then need to poll the LA members to see how many would participate, then we can start thinking about who would officiate, who would be the treasurer (hold the money) and how much it costs to enter per boat. Another biggie will be setting the date. As wide spread as we are, we might be thinking about how to collect the fees.... U.S. mail? Maybe collect on arrival? It will take some agreement on many points, but we can work through it. Enough for now. I will contact LDWF tomorrow to see what info I can get in the way of information about the area and facilities, and will post the results when finished. I will also enlist the help of a couple members on my end, you may want to do the same. Any thoughts?
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

There is a campground on the bayou between Saline and Larto in the Dewey Wills W.M.A.. I haven't been there in about 10 years, but it used to have a very nice boat launch ramp and the campground/picnic area was well maintained. To get to this particular spot, you take 28E out of Alexandria/Pineville about 20 miles to the Diversion Canal, coming out of Catahoula Lake. Turn right and go about 4 miles and turn right over the canal and follow the main road to the Tee and turn left. Follow the road around to the campground.
    Catahoula Lake is not what I would consider for a tournament. It's maintained for duck hunting and the water is let completely out sometime in the late Spring, so duck food can grow.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Default pooch....

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch
    There is a campground on the bayou between Saline and Larto in the Dewey Wills W.M.A.. I haven't been there in about 10 years, but it used to have a very nice boat launch ramp and the campground/picnic area was well maintained. To get to this particular spot, you take 28E out of Alexandria/Pineville about 20 miles to the Diversion Canal, coming out of Catahoula Lake. Turn right and go about 4 miles and turn right over the canal and follow the main road to the Tee and turn left. Follow the road around to the campground.
    Catahoula Lake is not what I would consider for a tournament. It's maintained for duck hunting and the water is let completely out sometime in the late Spring, so duck food can grow.---Pooch

Thanks for that information, eliminates one possibility. As you saw,Tommy likes Saline/Larto, do you know if there are cabins there? I'm open to suggestions.....if we can get participation it could be a fun trip. One of the biggest problems is coming up with a date so that the larger number of the oil hands will be "in" for the tournament. Thanks for the help, pooch....if you can think of anything else, let me know?

Post Thanks / Like

Default No cabins

This particular site is primitive. Or at least it was the last time I was there. The L.D.W.F. kept the grass cut and trash picked up, but that was about it.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

I will help anyway I can. Just let me know. I am not familiar with any body of water north of Ville Platte. I don't care what lake, but we will need a place with some type of cabins or a place close by to stay. Most people don't have campers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by basinfisher
    I will help anyway I can. Just let me know. I am not familiar with any body of water north of Ville Platte. I don't care what lake, but we will need a place with some type of cabins or a place close by to stay. Most people don't have campers.

Haven't heard from LDWF as yet to confirm where any facilities may be that are close enough to Saline/Larto. Pooch said he hasn't been to the campground in 10 years or so, maybe they have improved the camp. I should have an answer first of next week. If not the campground, maybe a close motel.

We'll wait till Monday to see...... meanwhile, I'm headed out to Cajun Country to harass the specks and reds. Will be back late Sunday. :D

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast